[comp.sys.dec] And while we're talking about logins

connie@psych.Stanford.EDU (Constance Stillinger) (08/23/90)

Are there other login programs around that are compatible with ultrix
(ds3100, risc ultrix 3.1) -- I'm especially interested in finding a
program that will somehow record *attempted* logins and where they came
from.  Wtmp only records the successful ones.

Also, is there any decently detailed documentation out there about what
login actually does?

Ignorantly yours,
Connie

Constance Stillinger
connie@psych.stanford.edu  (Now ass't prof. at Northwestern Univ.)
-------

mamros@cavdog.enet.dec.com (Shawn Mamros) (08/23/90)

If you can upgrade to ULTRIX V4.0, there is an auditing subsystem
provided there, which you could set up to just record login attempts
(both successful and failed).  It can record lots of other things, too...

-Shawn Mamros
mamros@aiag.enet.dec.com or mamros@cavdog.enet.dec.com

dsg@mbunix.mitre.org (Goldberg) (08/24/90)

In article <1217@psych.stanford.edu> connie@psych.Stanford.EDU (Constance Stillinger) writes:

> Are there other login programs around that are compatible with ultrix
> (ds3100, risc ultrix 3.1) -- I'm especially interested in finding a
> program that will somehow record *attempted* logins and where they came
> from.  Wtmp only records the successful ones.

Failed login attempts are recorded in syslog.  Unfortunately, you need
source to get them to tell you where they came from (at least as of
Ultrix 3.1 - haven't seen 4.0 yet).  We modified the source to tell us
where the login came from as well - it's a very simple fix - you just
have the syslog call put in the ut_host element of the utmp struct or,
if that's NULL (say on a dial up line, or a direct connect, or through
some sort of switch), the word "local".  You might want to take a look
at the BSD source.  I'm pretty certain it's available by anonymous ftp
from uunet.uu.net, but I can't connect there right now to make sure.
As I recall, the Ultrix source isn't too far removed from it.

> Also, is there any decently detailed documentation out there about what
> login actually does?

Other than the source, I haven't seen anything.
--
Dave Goldberg                     UNIX Systems Programmer/Administrator
The Mitre Corporation   MS B020   Bedford, MA 01730        617-271-2460