[comp.sys.dec] Fifo Overflow

rauletta@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (R. J. Auletta) (08/25/90)

On a VAX3600 running Ultrix 3.1 with a Hayes Government Modem
the following errors are reported on the console and by uerf
occasionally after a dialin session is terminated.
The rd and sd lights on the modem are full on.

I looking for a better understanding of the error to help track
down the cause (modem, configuration, hardware fault) as
this hangs the machine until the modem is turned off.

--R J Auletta
  rauletta@sitevax.gmu.edu

dhu1, line4: recv. fifo overflow

******************************** ENTRY     2. *********************************
----- EVENT INFORMATION -----

EVENT CLASS                             OPERATIONAL EVENT
OS EVENT TYPE                  250.     ASCII MSG
SEQUENCE NUMBER                140.
OPERATING SYSTEM                        ULTRIX 32
OCCURRED/LOGGED ON                      Sat Aug 25 10:49:49 1990 EDT
OCCURRED ON SYSTEM                      sitevax.gmu.
SYSTEM ID                 x0A000004     MICROCODE REV = 4.
SYSTYPE REG.              x01530101
                                        FIRMWARE REV = 83.
PROCESSOR TYPE                          KA650
MESSAGE                                 dhu1, line4: recv. fifo overflow

********************************* ENTRY     8. *********************************

ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) (08/30/90)

In <2039@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> rauletta@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (R. J. Auletta) writes:

>the following errors are reported on the console and by uerf
>occasionally after a dialin session is terminated.
>The rd and sd lights on the modem are full on.

>MESSAGE                                 dhu1, line4: recv. fifo overflow

We've had a couple of different 2400 baud modems on our MicroVAX,
and with both the machine would crank out the same errors
("dhu0, line0: recv. fifo overflow").
One night the system console ran through about 100 pages of paper while
printing error messages before the paper jammed.

The modem lights rd and sd were on constantly when we got these errors, too.

We replaced the 2400 baud modem with a Telebit T2500, and we have not
seen the trouble since.
--
Guy Helmer
work: DSU Computing Services, Business & Education Institute    (605) 256-5315