[comp.sys.dec] Delays in DS5000 shipping?

fnddr@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (RICE DON D) (08/04/90)

I've seen many references to DEC shipping delays recently here and in the
press, mostly concerning DAT drives and newer VAX configurations.  I haven't
seen mention of delays in the DECstation line, other than the problems getting
Ultrix 4.0 out.  But now suddenly our salesguys are saying there is a terrible
shortage of DS5000's and delivery dates are anybody's guess.  I'm getting
increasingly disimpressed by DEC's performance...am I just seeing them at
a bad point in their history or what?  Here's the deal:

1. Early May: put in PO for DS5000's.  Purchasing sent out request for quotes.
   DEC failed to get their quote in on time even though they had a couple of
   weeks to respond and had already drawn up the quote.  It is now early June.

2. Early July: after repeating the request for quotes, DEC wins and PO is
   sent to them.  Their quote says 30 day lead time, and PO calls for early
   August delivery.  We are behind schedule due to (1) but things seem to be
   under control finally.

3. Early August: no hardware.  Call to DEC gets a revised ship date in late
   August, with warning that it could slip further.  Reason given is "heavy
   demand."  A 3rd party supplier says the real reason is that DEC hasn't
   ramped up production of the DS5000 yet.

Now perhaps this is a little simplistic, but it seems to me that if DEC had
not screwed up the original quotation request and had delivered per its
quotation that we would have had hardware by early July, and that their
current (shakey) ship date puts them at least 60 days behind schedule.  It
certainly puts us way behind schedule and could make it necessary for us
to change brands.  We can get more work done on a slower machine that is
on the desk than on a faster machine that is still at the factory.

So, are people seeing big delays in their orders for the DS5000?  I'd really
like to know if this is a genuine production problem or yet another kink in
our distribution pipeline.  (Perhaps I should have guessed that "Digital has
it now" implies that the customers DON'T have it now...)

Please e-mail responses, no point clogging up the net with this topic if it
turns out to be a local problem.

Disgruntledly yours,  :^P  >^(
Don Rice                                  Internet: fnddr@acad3.fai.alaska.edu
Geophysical Institute                     E-mail:   fnddr@alaska.bitnet
University of Alaska                      Phone:    (907) 474-7569
Fairbanks, AK 99775                       Loran:    64.86N 212.16E

fnddr@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (Rice Don D) (08/07/90)

In article <1990Aug4.013555.11650@hayes.fai.alaska.edu>, fnddr@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (RICE DON D) writes...
>So, are people seeing big delays in their orders for the DS5000?  I'd really
>like to know if this is a genuine production problem or yet another kink in
>our distribution pipeline.  (Perhaps I should have guessed that "Digital has
>it now" implies that the customers DON'T have it now...)

Judging by the number and distribution of responses, this is a genuine
problem, with a lot of overdue systems being promised for September.  The
delays appear to have hit people ordering after May, with later orders getting
the longest shipping delays.  Other comments:

..delays also experienced in hard disks and DS3100 orders this summer.

..some who received DS5000's felt the number of DOA or terminally ill units
   was unusually high, and thought replacements may have eaten into the
   production.

..notes from DEC and resellers indicate that demand was substantially higher
   than expected, but that the September timeframe for catching up is credible.

..several people noted that other new systems announced this spring and
   summer by other vendors were experiencing delays comparable to or longer
   than what we are seeing on the DS5000.

Thanks to all who replied, I guess misery does love company.

dhc@lanl.gov (Dave Carter) (08/07/90)

In article <1990Aug4.013555.11650@hayes.fai.alaska.edu>, fnddr@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (RICE DON D) writes:
> I've seen many references to DEC shipping delays recently here and in the
> press, mostly concerning DAT drives and newer VAX configurations.  I haven't
> seen mention of delays in the DECstation line, other than the problems getting
> Ultrix 4.0 out.  But now suddenly our salesguys are saying there is a terrible
> shortage of DS5000's and delivery dates are anybody's guess.  I'm getting
> increasingly disimpressed by DEC's performance...am I just seeing them at
> a bad point in their history or what?  Here's the deal:

boy, you've hit a sore spot.  we placed an order for *one* 5000 late
may or early june.  (i think the order finally got placed on june
5th.)  our sales rep told us then that we'd get it in no more than 4
weeks.  well, he came back later with a different story:  a ship date
in mid-september!!  we had a major program which we could have lost
without a 5000, so i said this was unacceptable.  our sales rep
finally came up with a "loaner" 3100 until september.  this is proving
inadequate for the jobs that we have to run, however.

> 3. Early August: no hardware.  Call to DEC gets a revised ship date in late
>    August, with warning that it could slip further.  Reason given is "heavy
>    demand."  A 3rd party supplier says the real reason is that DEC hasn't
>    ramped up production of the DS5000 yet.

late august?!!  how did you get this good of a ship date?!  they're
still telling us mid-to-late september.

> Now perhaps this is a little simplistic, but it seems to me that if DEC had
> not screwed up the original quotation request and had delivered per its
> quotation that we would have had hardware by early July, and that their
> current (shakey) ship date puts them at least 60 days behind schedule.  It
> certainly puts us way behind schedule and could make it necessary for us
> to change brands.  We can get more work done on a slower machine that is
> on the desk than on a faster machine that is still at the factory.

yes, people here are pretty pissed at the whole thing, and are
considering a massive changeover to (heaven forbid) suns, only because
they are available.

							- dave
dhc@lanl.gov

GEOMAGIC@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Daniel OConnell) (08/07/90)

>I've seen many references to DEC shipping delays recently here and in the
>press, mostly concerning DAT drives and newer VAX configurations.  I haven't
>seen mention of delays in the DECstation line, other than the problems getting
>Ultrix 4.0 out.  But now suddenly our salesguys are saying there is a terrible
>shortage of DS5000's and delivery dates are anybody's guess.  I'm getting
>increasingly disimpressed by DEC's performance...am I just seeing them at
>a bad point in their history or what?  Here's the deal:

>1. Early May: put in PO for DS5000's.  Purchasing sent out request for quotes.
>   DEC failed to get their quote in on time even though they had a couple of
>   weeks to respond and had already drawn up the quote.  It is now early June.

We placed our order in December, 1989 by specing a 3100 and a bunch of
TK50's to approx. equal the estimated purchase price of a DS5000 with
24 bit graphics. THEY HAVE A PURCHASE ORDER IN DEC. 1989!!!!!!!

>2. Early July: after repeating the request for quotes, DEC wins and PO is
>   sent to them.  Their quote says 30 day lead time, and PO calls for early
>   August delivery.  We are behind schedule due to (1) but things seem to be
>   under control finally.

We meet with the sales idiot, a week after the official DS5000 anouncement to
initiate the change order to the DS5000 from the DS3100.

Late June, we get a DS3100 and 4 TK50's #&$&$%&^$&^. They want to get
credit for shipping something in 1989,  so they ship the old order.

>3. Early August: no hardware.  Call to DEC gets a revised ship date in late
>   August, with warning that it could slip further.  Reason given is "heavy
>   demand."  A 3rd party supplier says the real reason is that DEC hasn't
>   ramped up production of the DS5000 yet.

We are now told we won't see it until "late Sept.".

>So, are people seeing big delays in their orders for the DS5000?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, yea

dbx doesn't work with fortran, reported in April.
Response to date: "yea, we know."

Our 5400 has blown 2 power supplies. They suggest our power is
unreliable and propose to install a monitor. Nothing happens.

No response, i.e. action w.r.t. any of our Ultrix bug reports, NONE.

BTW, we are doing a port for DEC, I shudder to think how the
average sucker is treated.

Daniel R.H. O'Connell
Department of Geology and Mineralogy
An Ohio State University
Columbus, Ohio 45213
geomagic@geo1s.mps.ohio-state.edu (Riscy, dead at the moment)
geomagic@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (a VAX, funny it actually works!?).

P.S.
DEC probably didn't tell you that you had to purchase a VAX to debug
code on the RISC machines, did they?

MELTSNE@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com (08/07/90)

Our new DECStation came in, after being ordered in late May.  The DEC salesman
had to "escalate" the order to get this sort of response after slipping from a
mid-July delivery date.

He told me the longest delays are for machines with the new 1 GB drives which
appear to be in short supply.

                               Ken

mathisen@dali.cs.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) (08/07/90)

In article <90219.083603MELTSNE@GECRDVM1.BITNET> MELTSNE@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com writes:
>Our new DECStation came in, after being ordered in late May.  The DEC salesman
>had to "escalate" the order to get this sort of response after slipping from a
>mid-July delivery date.

Same here, we ordered 5000's, 2100's, etc end of May, and everything showed
up on July 10th or 11th.

bb@wjh12.harvard.edu (Brent Byer) (08/07/90)

In article <59277@lanl.gov> dhc@lanl.gov (Dave Carter) writes:

>boy, you've hit a sore spot.  we placed an order for *one* 5000 late
>may or early june.  (i think the order finally got placed on june
>5th.)  our sales rep told us then that we'd get it in no more than 4
>weeks.

Gee, that would be right around the end of June, which would be
the end of the 'quarter' (quarter-annual financial report).

>well, he came back later with a different story:  a ship date
>in mid-september!!

Aha, that is near the end of the next 'quarter'.

And, remember, as far as the financial bozos are concerned,
"shipping" means it is on the loading dock.  You ought to
see how many (empty?) crates are crowding the loading docks
at the ends of financial periods.

[ And, speaking of Bozos, "He's just jiving you, man." ]

>yes, people here are pretty pissed at the whole thing, and are
>considering a massive changeover to (heaven forbid) suns ...

If one of your organization's "suits" had made this crystal clear
to the vendor, *at the time you placed your order* (even writing
it on the order), then your order would have been the bumpER
instead of the bumpEE.

   Standing on yellow rubber line,
	Brent Byer  ( DEC PDP-10 Marketing, 1968 )

hascall@cs.iastate.edu (John Hascall) (08/11/90)

In article <90219.083603MELTSNE@GECRDVM1.BITNET> MELTSNE@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com writes:
}Our new DECStation came in, after being ordered in late May.  The DEC salesman
}had to "escalate" the order to get this sort of response after slipping from a
}mid-July delivery date.

}He told me the longest delays are for machines with the new 1 GB drives which
}appear to be in short supply.

   Hmmm,... we got ~60 of those drives (I guess it helps to spend $4M ;-)

thompson@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Steve Thompson) (09/05/90)

In article <1990Aug4.013555.11650@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> fnddr@acad3.fai.alaska.edu writes:
>So, are people seeing big delays in their orders for the DS5000?  I'd really
>like to know if this is a genuine production problem or yet another kink in
>our distribution pipeline.  (Perhaps I should have guessed that "Digital has
>it now" implies that the customers DON'T have it now...)

We ordered six DS5000's in early June. The time between DEC getting the order
and the machines arriving was almost exactly 4 weeks. A futher DS5000 that
was ordered a week later also arrived in 4 weeks.
Steve