[comp.sys.dec] Installing Ultrix 4.0, help ..

josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) (09/07/90)

 We are going to install our new version of Ultrix 4.0 in a VAX 6310,
do you have any recomendations ?, suggestions ?, problems or any
experiences with this update ?

 Thank you in advance.

 Jose A. Vela A.
josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (09/07/90)

In article <2084@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx>, josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) writes:

>  We are going to install our new version of Ultrix 4.0 in a VAX 6310,
> do you have any recomendations ?, suggestions ?, problems or any
> experiences with this update ?

	1.  Make a backup of the system disk paying particular
	    attention to the files listed in the installation
	    guide.

	2.  Read the release notes first.

	3.  Read the mandatory patch instructions.

	4.  Do the installation.  The hardest part of a major
	    version installation is putting back your custom-
	    izations.

	5.  Do the mandatory patch first thing after the system
	    reboots at the end of the installation:

		Shutdown to single user.
		Make sure that only the local file systems are mounted.
		Run update.
		Run the error logger (eli -s)
		Use setld to install the mandatory patches.
		Rebuild the kernel and reboot using it.

	6.  Merge your /etc/crontab with the new one rather than
	    replacing it.  There is a new line for cleaning up
	    /usr/preserve.  You want to use the new one.

	Those are the major points.  Is the system going to a YP
	master server?

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.enet.dec.com