[comp.sys.dec] Word Processor for DECstation 2100

jeff@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Jeff Bangert) (08/21/90)

One of our customers, a professor of engineering, has a DECstation
2100.  He uses it mostly for programming, but he'd like to know if
there is a a public domain word processor that runs on the 2100 and
will do equations.

Yes, he knows about Interleaf, but can't afford it right now.  Yes,
we've suggested he use a PC, but he really wants to use his 2100.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff Bangert                    BITNET: JEFF@UKANVM
Academic Computing Services     Internet: jeff@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
University of Kansas            Phone: (913) 864-0466
Lawrence, KS 66045

tihor@acf4.NYU.EDU (Stephen Tihor) (08/21/90)

I take it he wants something more WYSIWYG than TeX and can't afford
Arbor TeX either.

price@chukls.enet.dec.com (Chuck Price) (08/22/90)

In article <25332.26d0d7be@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, jeff@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Jeff Bangert) writes:

> One of our customers, a professor of engineering, has a DECstation
> 2100.  He uses it mostly for programming, but he'd like to know if
> there is a a public domain word processor that runs on the 2100 and
> will do equations.
>
> Yes, he knows about Interleaf, but can't afford it right now.  Yes,
> we've suggested he use a PC, but he really wants to use his 2100.

DECwrite from Digital isn't public domain, but it offers a full WYSIWYG
environment, outputs in PostScript or DDIF (or ASCII), etc.

It lists for $1879 (license: $1319, media/doc: $560) in the
Spring/Summer DECdirect Catalog, page 55,
and I just bet there is some University deal available. Ask your
sales rep.

BTW, I've been using it for about a year, and I have yet to look
at the manual once. It's pretty intuitive. On the DECstation, it's
also quite fast!

-chuck

ps: You can reach DECdirect by calling 1-800-DIGITAL.

warren@atmos.washington.edu (David Warren) (08/22/90)

If he could afford the licensing fee to FRAME for decwrite, he could
afford Interleaf. The campus site license price is less.
--
David Warren		INTERNET: warren@atmos.washington.edu
(206) 543-0945		UUCP:	  uw-beaver!atmos.washington.edu!warren

mark@DRD.Com (Mark Lawrence) (08/23/90)

[...]

price@chukls.enet.dec.com (Chuck Price) wrote:
} DECwrite from Digital isn't public domain, but it offers a full WYSIWYG
} environment, outputs in PostScript or DDIF (or ASCII), etc.
[...]
} BTW, I've been using it for about a year, and I have yet to look
} at the manual once. It's pretty intuitive. On the DECstation, it's
} also quite fast!

Yeah, if you've ever used MacWrite or FrameMaker, you'll find it
_really_ familiar.
--
mark@DRD.Com uunet!apctrc!drd!mark$B!J%^!<%/!!!&%m!<%l%s%9!K(B

stuart@leafusa.hq.ileaf.com (Stuart Freedman {x1708}) (08/31/90)

Note that, as far as I know, a university can buy Interleaf TPS at a
bargain basement price through our recently announced University
Publishing Software deal.  (I think that the price is a ~$150 handling
charge, and you get a pretty full version of TPS.)  I am not a
corporate spokesman (just a humble net admin person), though, so you
may want to contact the sales & marketing folks about the details of
all this.

(BTW, I have heard that DECWrite is just a repackaging of an old
version of Frame Maker.)
--
Stuart Freedman		Internet:	smf@saffron.lcs.mit.edu
Interleaf, Inc.		UUCP:		uunet!leafusa!stuart

bruce@ccavax.camb.com (09/01/90)

In article <1990Aug21.173424.15771@wrl.dec.com>, price@chukls.enet.dec.com (Chuck Price) writes:

> DECwrite from Digital isn't public domain, but it offers a full WYSIWYG
> environment, outputs in PostScript or DDIF (or ASCII), etc.

If you have a CDROM reader, DEC has a nifty 90 day free trial under way.

It started just with folks that attended DECworld, but now has been extended
to anyone. You will get a CDROM with ALL the demo'able S/W, and 90 day PAKs
for the 5 you select (you may succeed in asking for a few more...). Note well
that they list VAXSET, but then list all 6 products it includes!, so don't
pick them individually, pick VAXSET (for CMS,MMS,LSE,PCA,SCA,DTM) as one of
your 5 selections. DECwrite is on the list (hence this note), also such things
as: ADA, Cobol, C, LISP, VAXcluster S/W, VAXnotes, CDA Convert lib, and many
more!

Also DEC sends another CDROM with EDServices DEClearn CDROM online courseware
and a PAK to let you try some of it. (you can PAY to have more students
learn more, of course). On the general issue of how many more than 5 I might
be allowed to select for a demo, I was told someone else in our company could
sign up seperately (from a different site).

DEC also now has an ENET cdrom server for VAXen without readers. The demo
folks can fax you data on it, too.

Call DEC at 800 343 4040. Ask about the DECworld trial. I spoke to John DeRoche
who is: deroche@aimhi.enet.dec.com

treese@crl.dec.com (Win Treese) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Aug31.135211.737@leafusa.hq.ileaf.com> stuart@leafusa.hq.ileaf.com (Stuart Freedman {x1708}) writes:

   (BTW, I have heard that DECWrite is just a repackaging of an old
   version of Frame Maker.)

This is incorrect.  Digital has done extensive development on DECwrite;
it is not simply a repackaging of an old version of Frame.

Win Treese						Cambridge Research Lab
treese@crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.