[comp.sys.dec] VMS/ULTRIX CONNECT

tundra@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (John Kemp) (09/06/90)

From: tundra@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (John Kemp)
Newsgroups: uiuc.dec,comp.os.vms,comp.unix.ultrix
Subject: VMS/Ultrix UCX QUERY(?)
Sender:tundra@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Hello,

We're trying to install UCX (VMS/Ultrix connection) software on
our MicroVAX and have encountered two minor problems that
someone else may have beaten already:

1) OPCOM broadcast messages are being sent everywhere on the
   network and interfering with telnet login connections.
   (Catch-22: open connection attempts are killed by the
   interference of open connection OPCOM messages)

2) I don't see how you add a default gateway to the routing
   tables.  Is there a way to do that?  If not, I will have
   to issue a "SET ROUTE" command for every network in existence.

I'll keep hacking on it, but I don't see obvious solutions to
either of the problems above...

Thanks in advance,
--------  john kemp            (  (  )_  internet - kemp@uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu
  -----                       (  (   __)   decnet - uiatmb::kemp
   ---    univ of illinois   (_ (   __)    bitnet - {uunet,convex}
   --     dept of atmos sci  .(____).               !uiucuxc!uiatma!kemp
   -      105 s gregory ave    ...          phone - (217) 333-6881
    -     urbana, il 61801    ...             fax - (217) 444-4393

vaisanen@joyds2.joensuu.fi (Jarmo Vaisanen) (09/06/90)

In article <1990Sep5.202710.5544@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, tundra@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (John Kemp) writes:

> We're trying to install UCX (VMS/Ultrix connection) software on
> our MicroVAX and have encountered two minor problems that
> someone else may have beaten already:

> 2) I don't see how you add a default gateway to the routing
>    tables.  Is there a way to do that?  If not, I will have
>    to issue a "SET ROUTE" command for every network in existence.

This is even decumented in version 1.2 - We got software before
documentation, so
I had to look it up in Netnews.

$ SET ROUTE /ADDRESS=0.0 /GATEWAY=DEFGATE /NETWORK

where DEFGATE must be already defined host.
(Although I remember that I used /ADDRESS=0.0.0.0 - those two must be
equivalent)

Yours,

	Jarmo Vaisanen
	University of Joensuu, Computer Centre
	(vaisanen@joyx.joensuu.fi)

tundra@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (09/06/90)

>>> We're trying to install UCX (VMS/Ultrix connection) software on
>>> our MicroVAX and have encountered two minor problems that
>>> someone else may have beaten already:
>>>
>>> 1) OPCOM broadcast messages are being sent everywhere on the
>>>    network and interfering with telnet login connections.
>>>    (Catch-22: open connection attempts are killed by the
>>>    interference of open connection OPCOM messages)
>>>
>>> 2) I don't see how you add a default gateway to the routing
>>>    tables.  Is there a way to do that?  If not, I will have
>>>    to issue a "SET ROUTE" command for every network in existence.

Summary of replies and solution:

The net comes through again!  One person knew the magic command
to enable routing and the other confirmed that the "REPLY" messages
bug existed and offered a workaround.

To set the route for the default gateway issue the following:
ucx> set route /address=0/gateway="gateway-name"/network
The trick here was using "0", not "0.0.0.0".

To get around the "REPLY broadcasts to everywhere" bug, it is best
to just make sure no one logs in on the net and issues a "REPLY/ENABLE".
(Just take operator priveleges away from everyone :-)

The poster said the following:

   you get problems with telnet login if any users previously logged in
   with telnet and issued a REPLY/ENABLE. The only workaround for this
   (as far as I know) is to login to the machine some other way than with
   telnet (say SET HOST or interactively), redefine SYS$COMMAND and
   do a REPLY/DISABLE. e.g

   DEFINE SYS$COMMAND TNA1:
   REPLY/DISABLE

fineberg@wums2.wustl.edu (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep6.141311.28189@ujocs.joensuu.fi>, vaisanen@joyds2.joensuu.fi (Jarmo Vaisanen) writes:
>> 2) I don't see how you add a default gateway to the routing
>>    tables.  Is there a way to do that?  If not, I will have
>>    to issue a "SET ROUTE" command for every network in existence.
>>

> This is even decumented in version 1.2 - We got software before
> documentation, so
> I had to look it up in Netnews.
>
> $ SET ROUTE /ADDRESS=0.0 /GATEWAY=DEFGATE /NETWORK
>
> where DEFGATE must be already defined host.
> (Although I remember that I used /ADDRESS=0.0.0.0 - those two must be
> equivalent)
>

> Yours,

Any suggestions as to why it won't work for me?  Also any suggestions as to
how to remove it from my table?  When I do I get this response:

WUMS2$ ucx
UCX> set noroute /addr=0

Type           Destination                           Gateway

N   * 0.0.0.0                                                ncrc_ms
Remove? [N]:y
%UCX-E-ROUTEERROR, Error processing ROUTE request
-UCX-E-INVADR, Invalid Internet address:
UCX>  Exit
WUMS2$

And one more random thing.  For some reason, after 10 people have used
telnet to my system, no more telnet access is allowed.  I have only been
able to "fix" it by stopping and restarting the network software.
	Charlie
--
Charlie Fineberg	Biochemistry Dept., Wash. U. Sch. of Medicine (WUMS)
Box 8231, 4566 Scott Ave.		  BITNET: FINEBERG@WUMS

vaisanen@joyds2.joensuu.fi (Jarmo Vaisanen) (09/11/90)

IIn article <3903.26ebda46@wums2.wustl.edu>, fineberg@wums2.wustl.edu writes:

> Any suggestions as to why it won't work for me?  Also any suggestions as to
> how to remove it from my table?  When I do I get this response:
>
> WUMS2$ ucx
> UCX> set noroute /addr=0
>
> Type           Destination                           Gateway
>
> N   * 0.0.0.0                                                ncrc_ms
> Remove? [N]:y
> %UCX-E-ROUTEERROR, Error processing ROUTE request
> -UCX-E-INVADR, Invalid Internet address:
> UCX>  Exit
> WUMS2$

Funny - I just tried it!
----------------------- From actual display printout --------------------------
UCX> sh route

Type           Destination                           Gateway

NA    128.214.14.0                          128.214.14.1
N     0.0.0.0                               PERSIKKA-GW
UCX> set noroute /address=0

Type           Destination                           Gateway

N   * 0.0.0.0                               128.214.14.100   PERSIKKA-GW
Remove? [N]:y
UCX> sh route

Type           Destination                           Gateway

NA    128.214.14.0                          128.214.14.1
The only difference I can see is  that Your gateway ncrc_ms didn't seem
to have IP-
address.  Maybe that's the problem.

(I don't actually like the binary database idea in VMS - because it
sometimes crashes
and You can't just try to fix it with vi :-)

Hope this helps

Jarmo Vaisanen
University of Joensuu, Computer Centre
PO Box 111, 80101 Joensuu, Finland
(vaisanen@joyx.joensuu.fi)

vaisanen@joyds2.joensuu.fi (Jarmo Vaisanen) (09/11/90)

IIn article <3903.26ebda46@wums2.wustl.edu>, fineberg@wums2.wustl.edu writes:

> Any suggestions as to why it won't work for me?  Also any suggestions as to
> how to remove it from my table?  When I do I get this response:
>
> WUMC2$ ucx
> UCX> set noroute /addr=0
>
> Type           Destination                           Gateway
>
> N   * 0.0.0.0                                                ncrc_ms
> Remove? [N]:y
> %UCX-E-ROUTEERROR, Error processing ROUTE request
> -UCX-E-INVADR, Invalid Internet address:
> UCX>  Exit
> WUMS2$

Funny - I just tried it!
----------------------- From actual display printout --------------------------
UCX> sh route

Type           Destination                           Gateway

NA    128.214.14.0                          128.214.14.1
N     0.0.0.0                               PERSIKKA-GW
UCX> set noroute /address=0

Type           Destination                           Gateway

N   *  .0.0.0                               128.214.14.100   PERSIKKA-GW
Remove? [N]:y
UCX> sh route

Type           Destination                           Gateway

NA    128.214.14.0                          128.214.14.1
The only difference I can see is  that Your gateway ncrc_ms didn't seem
to have IP-
address.  Maybe that's the problem.

(I don't actually like the binary database idea in VMS - because it
sometimes crashes
and You can't just try to fix it with vi :-)

Ho`e this helps

jayd@alliant.backbone.uoknor.edu (Jay A. Davis) (09/11/90)

In article <3903.26ebda46@wums2.wustl.edu>, fineberg@wums2.wustl.edu writes:

|> > This is even decumented in version 1.2 - We got software before
|> > documentation, so
|> > I had to look it up in Netnews.
|> >
|> > $ SET ROUTE /ADDRESS=0.0 /GATEWAY=DEFGATE /NETWORK
|> >
|> > where DEFGATE must be already defined host.
|> > (Although I remember that I used /ADDRESS=0.0.0.0 - those two must
be
|> > equivalent)
|> >

|> > Yours,
|> >
|> Any suggestions as to why it won't work for me?  Also any suggestions
as to
|> how to remove it from my table?  When I do I get this response:
|>
|> WUMS2$ ucx
|> UCX> set noroute /addr=0
|>
|> Type           Destination                           Gateway
|>
|> N   * 0.0.0.0                                                ncrc_ms
|> Remove? [N]:y
|> %UCX-E-ROUTEERROR, Error processing ROUTE request
|> -UCX-E-INVADR, Invalid Internet address:
|> UCX>  Exit
|> WUMS2$
|>
|> And one more random thing.  For some reason, after 10 people have
used
|> telnet to my system, no more telnet access is allowed.  I have only
been
|> able to "fix" it by stopping and restarting the network software.
Look up the logical name UCX$TELNET_MAX_SES and set it to 40 or
something
in SYS$MANAGER:UCX$STARTUP
I don't know how or why the set noroute works.  I like how UCX says the
nameserver can't fine 129.15.15.15 or whatever...  The deccies need to
fix
that one...
|> 	Charlie
|> --
|> Charlie Fineberg	Biochemistry Dept., Wash. U. Sch. of Medicine
(WUMS)
|> Box 8231, 4566 Scott Ave.		  BITNET: FINEBERG@WUMS
|> St. Louis, MO 63110			internet: fineberg@wums2.wustl.edu
|> "The younger Mr. Popplewick is not permitted to expect anybody" - Mr.
Popplewick

rbt@cernvax.UUCP (roberto divia) (09/12/90)

Another small problem with UCX:

$ ftp 130.91.6.12
220 dsl.cis.upenn.edu FTP server (Version 4.106 Thu Sep 22 17:04:53 PDT 1988) ready.
Connected to dsl.
Name (130.91.6.12:divia): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
Password:
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.
$ ftp 35.1.1.43
Failed to get host information for 35.1.1.43 from database

Record not found
ftp>  Exit

The first site (dsl.cis.upenn.edu) is defined in the UCX hosts database (ucx
set host "dsl"/address=130.91.6.12), the second node is not. Now, it seems to me
that this is a bit strange. Am I doing something wrong? I have installed UCX
for evaluation purposes and I don't have the latest manual... I am running version
1.2-10 (from UCX$CONFIG.COM) and the manual of version 1.0 states how the call to
ftp should work in both cases.
--
|   Roberto Divia`      | Love at  first sight  is one of the greatest |
|   =============       | labor-saving devices the world has ever seen |

lindh@uhasun.hartford.edu (Andrew Lindh) (09/13/90)

In article <2708@cernvax.UUCP>, rbt@cernvax.UUCP (roberto divia) writes:
> Another small problem with UCX:
>
> $ ftp 130.91.6.12
> 220 dsl.cis.upenn.edu FTP server (Version 4.106 Thu Sep 22 17:04:53 PDT 1988) ready.
> Connected to dsl.
...[text deleted]...
> $ ftp 35.1.1.43
> Failed to get host information for 35.1.1.43 from database
> Record not found
> ftp>  Exit
...[text deleted]...

Under the current version of UCX all host must be in the database.
You can NOT call a host by its name or address unless it is in the
database. This allows control over what hosts can be contacted.
But it also means that ALL hosts that you wish to use MUST be in
the database, even if you just wish the use the address and not the name.

--
Andrew Lindh, a student at the University of Hartford -- Computer Science
INTERNET: lindh@uhasun.hartford.edu | NOTE: All views here are MINE!!!