[comp.sys.dec] DS2100 serial ports

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (09/13/90)

I have a PC connected to an ABCD switch box.  "A" goes to a printer;
"B" to a modem; and "C" goes into one of the serial ports on a DS2100.
I've discovered that if I switch away from the "C" position, I lose about
50% of DS2100 CPU cycles to the csh or getty sitting on the tty port.
I have "on nomodem" in /etc/tty.

What's the deal?

-scott

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (09/15/90)

In article <1078@applix.com>, scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) writes:
> I have a PC connected to an ABCD switch box.  "A" goes to a printer;
> "B" to a modem; and "C" goes into one of the serial ports on a DS2100.
> I've discovered that if I switch away from the "C" position, I lose about
> 50% of DS2100 CPU cycles to the csh or getty sitting on the tty port.
> I have "on nomodem" in /etc/tty.
>
> What's the deal?

The deal is that your DS2100 is trying to log in the line noise on the
port that has nothing connected to it.

I think I saw it documented somewhere that you should leave terminals
connected to an Ultrix machine powered up so that it won't do that, but
I've no idea where.
Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321