[comp.sys.dec] DecNet and Lat over Lan Bridges question.

ofer@TAURUS.BITNET (08/05/90)

Hi
I am looking for people with experience in connecting sites of VAXen
with local ethernet lans and DecServers, to an internet made of
lan bridges or actually brouters.
I'd like to hear and perhaps get some tips on the best way this should
be done and possible suggestions about DecNet and Lat tuneups.
Please reply to me direct and I would summarize to comp.sys.dec .
Many thanks.
Ofer Lapid

m1comm01@spacm1.uucp (Bob Straschewski) (09/17/90)

In article <1358@taurus.BITNET>, ofer@TAURUS.BITNET writes:
> Hi
> I am looking for people with experience in connecting sites of VAXen
> with local ethernet lans and DecServers, to an internet made of
> lan bridges or actually brouters.
> I'd like to hear and perhaps get some tips on the best way this should
> be done and possible suggestions about DecNet and Lat tuneups.
> Please reply to me direct and I would summarize to comp.sys.dec .
> Many thanks.
> Ofer Lapid
Here at Security Pacific, we use Vitalink TRANSLANs, to connect a number
of sites.  The Vitalink product, while expensive, works great!!!!! We tried
a number of brand-X bridges, and while they saved us $$$$, they just didn't
work as good as the Vitalink units.  We run approx. 12-13 protocols at any
given time, but LAT and DECNET are the predominant ones.  Line speeds we
use range from 56 Kbps, 112 Kbps, 280 Kbps, and even a T-1 or two.  Ways to
tune the network include LAT compression, DecServer timer adjustments, and
the setting of filters in the Vitalinks, to avoid passing unneccessary traffic
from the ENET out to the serial port/ports.

      good luck./.......