[net.news.group] creation of a net.antiques news group

silberma@agrigene.UUCP (02/13/86)

Several weeks ago I posted an inquiry to net.general requesting interest
in forming a net.antiques newsgroup.

To date I received 12 enthusiastic responses, one definite negative (he
thought this belonged in net.misc), and one flame admonishing me for
posting the request in net.general.  While the later was by far the longest
response, (a few hundred hot words), I could not gather if he was for it
or against it.

So the score is 12 to 1 for the establishment of this newsgroup as of
Feb. 13th.

I would like to explain what I had in mind for this new group, although
I realize that groups tend to evolve into what the user's make of them,
and they don't always continue along their intended paths.

Net.antiques would serve as a forum for discussion on all aspects of antiques:

	who specializes in different types of antiques and where to find them

	current auctions and current prices

	the relative value of antiques with respect to contemporary material

	avoiding rip offs

	the aesthetics of collecting

	an on-line directory of who is interested in what style

	requests for information and advice

	et cetera

I am uncertain as to how to actually form this group or to whom to go to
for permission.  If anyone has an answer or cares to express his/her opinion,
please post to me or in net.misc or net.news. group

Thanks

David H. Silberman
Agrigenetics
3375 Mitchell Lane
Boulder, CO 80301-2244  303/443-5900

avolio@decuac.UUCP (02/14/86)

In article <275@agrigene.UUCP>, silberma@agrigene.UUCP writes:
> Several weeks ago I posted an inquiry to net.general requesting interest
> in forming a net.antiques newsgroup.

No wonder net.antique came as a surprise...  The person who flamed you
was, essentially correct.  Discussions of news group creation belong in
net.news.group (not in general or misc).  I suspect your "announcement"
will come as a surprise to many since there has not been any discussion in
net.news.group about it.

Before you create a group you should propose it in net.news.group.  People
will want you to demonstrate that there is a need for such a group.  Have
there been of postings somewhere else discussing antiques?  They will want
to come up with a reasonable name (net.rec.antiques? net.invest.antiques?
Probably *not* net.antiques.)

I suspect that since you are looking for interested people and got -- 12
was it? -- responses, this is a perfect time to start up a mailing list,
but *not* a news group.  When the interest has grown much larger, or other
groups are getting some (any) traffic discussing antiques that would be
the time to post a message to net.new.group (and please, no where else) to
propose it.
--
Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center
{decvax,seismo,cbosgd}!decuac!avolio            avolio@decuac.DEC.COM

> > Several weeks ago I posted an inquiry to net.general requesting interest
> > in forming a net.antiques newsgroup.
> I suspect that since you are looking for interested people and got -- 12
> was it? -- responses, this is a perfect time to start up a mailing list,
> but *not* a news group.  ...

	Well, count me in: mailing list and/or new newsgroup.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                               seismo!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==