[comp.sys.dec] MOTIF in Ultrix

n8443916@unicorn.WWU.EDU (John Gossman) (08/27/90)

	What is the status of DEC's publicly announced decision
to ship MOTIF with Ultrix, and furthermore to integrate/replace
DECWindows with MOTIF?  I actually prefer DECWins to MOTIF in many
ways, but the market appears to want MOTIF.  Is MOTIF even binary
available on the MIPS boxes currently?

	I would like replies from anyone, DEC sales reps, engineers,
and end-users: even just opinions.  Thanks in advance.

--John Gossman
SoftSource Inc.

/ My company stands behind my opinions, but only in private. /

jg@crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (08/27/90)

It has been available from OSF for quite a while in source form

It has been shipping as a binary layered product for some months now (I don't
have the part number handy).  A future release will see it as the
default user interface.  Talk to your salesman to order a copy.
			- Jim

goldberg@davidsys.com (Seth Goldberg) (08/28/90)

In article <1428@unicorn.WWU.EDU>, n8443916@unicorn.WWU.EDU (John Gossman) writes:
> 	What is the status of DEC's publicly announced decision
> to ship MOTIF with Ultrix, and furthermore to integrate/replace
> DECWindows with MOTIF?  I actually prefer DECWins to MOTIF in many
> ways, but the market appears to want MOTIF.  Is MOTIF even binary
> available on the MIPS boxes currently?
>
> 	I would like replies from anyone, DEC sales reps, engineers,
> and end-users: even just opinions.  Thanks in advance.

The information I have is the following:
(1) You can order a DECWindows Developer Kit for OSF/Motif from DEC.
The part number is QA-YMBAA-H5 for RISC Ultrix
                   QA-YMCAA-H5 for VAX Ultrix
                   QA-YMAAA-H5 for VMS (and also need QL-YMAA*-AA
                                       where * is the processor code)
License comes with Ultrix 4.0 and is $50 for a VAXstation with VMS.
The H kits are $385.
You can even order MDDS (media and doc updates) service.
(2) The 1.0 kit is based on X11R3 and has Motif 1.0.
V1.1 kit will come out later and be X11R4 based and have Motif V1.1.
(3) I do not know if they include source code.
It does include tools for porting from DECWindows.  My understanding is
that tool is primarily a script that edits all your files and changes
DECW in the DECWindow calls to whatever the Motif naming is.
(4) DEC does intend to migrate DECWindows to Motif.  In theory the main
difference is in the window manager and you can run the Motif window manager
on a DECWindows based system.  My understanding of the plan is to do what
they have done so far, which is provide development kits to software
developers for Motif.  Then make Motif an optional environment on delivered
systems to DECWindows and finally to make Motif the default environment.
At least they made a few public announcements to this effect.

Seth Goldberg
Manager, Computer Resources
David Systems
Internet:  goldberg@davidsys.com
    UUCP:  ...!uunet!sam!goldberg

glenn@herald.usask.ca (Glenn Hollinger) (08/28/90)

From article <1990Aug27.142022.23333@crl.dec.com>, by jg@crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys):
> It has been shipping as a binary layered product for some months now (I don't
> have the part number handy).  A future release will see it as the
> default user interface.  Talk to your salesman to order a copy.

We tried to order this for our DECsystem 3100.  We ordered the part
number for the Ultrix-RISC version.  What we received was a tape with
the correct part number but the Ultrix-VAX binaries.  TSC admitted that
the problem was wider than just our site.

Has anybody else had similar experiences?

Glenn Hollinger
University of Saskatchewan
glenn@herald.usask.ca

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (09/18/90)

In article <362@davidsys.com>, goldberg@davidsys.com (Seth Goldberg) writes:
|>(1) You can order a DECWindows Developer Kit for OSF/Motif from DEC.
|>The part number is QA-YMBAA-H5 for RISC Ultrix
|>                   QA-YMCAA-H5 for VAX Ultrix
|>                   QA-YMAAA-H5 for VMS (and also need QL-YMAA*-AA
|>                                       where * is the processor code)

The part numbers are swapped for ULTRIX in the above.  The part
numbers were listed wrong in an internal only digital sales
publication.

Fred