[comp.sys.dec] SCSI disks on a MicroVAX 2000

henderson@hamavnet.com (09/14/90)

Hello, good people,

Some time ago someone told me that it was possible to hook up SCSI disk drives
to the tape port on a MicroVAX 2000.

Has anyone actually done this, successfully? Any information on this subject
would be appreciated, either posting here or by email (I would summarize to the
net in that case).

Thanks,

Javier Henderson     | henderson@hamavnet.com           | These opinions
Engineering Services | Ham Packet: N6VBG @ KD7XG-1      | are all mine.
Hamilton Avnet       | FIDONet: 102/632                 |

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (09/15/90)

In article <1712.26ef97e1@hamavnet.com>, henderson@hamavnet.com writes:
> Hello, good people,
>
> Some time ago someone told me that it was possible to hook up SCSI disk drives
> to the tape port on a MicroVAX 2000.

	They probably never tried.  The real rumor goes something
	like:  The TK50 for the VS2000 is almost a SCSI tape drive.
	It follows that place the TK50 plugs into must be a SCSI
	port; right?  WRONG.  IF the TK50 on the VS2000 is almost
	a SCSI tape drive, then it was probably sufficient for the
	port to be almost SCSI also.

	I wouldn't trust it.  And of course any attempts to do so
	will result in an unsupported configuration.  If something
	breaks it may not be covered by any Field Service contract
	that you have.

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.enet.dec.com

gavron@alpha.sunquest.com (Ehud Gavron) (09/16/90)

In article <1669@shodha.enet.dec.com>, alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) writes...
#
#	I wouldn't trust it.  And of course any attempts to do so
#	will result in an unsupported configuration.  If something
#	breaks it may not be covered by any Field Service contract
#	that you have.

   Gosh, and how surprising that this opinion comes from someone
   who works for DEC...

#--
#Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.enet.dec.com

   Ehud

/----------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Ehud Gavron, Systems analyst  | gavron@vesta.sunquest.com      (Internet)  |
| Sunquest Information Systems  | uunet!sunquest!gavron          (UUCP)      |
| 930 N. Finance Center Drive   | gavron@lampf                   (BITNET)    |
| Tucson, Arizona, 85710        | (602)722-7546/885-7700 x.2546  (AT&Tnet)   |
|           your cute quote here                                             |
\----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) (09/17/90)

> In article <1669@shodha.enet.dec.com>, alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) writes...
>
>	I wouldn't trust it.  And of course any attempts to do so
>	will result in an unsupported configuration.  If something
>	breaks it may not be covered by any Field Service contract
>	that you have.

  More importantly, where would you find a device driver for the disk? You'll
need two, a regular one and one integrated into VMB (which is, of course, in
ROM on the 2000) if you want to boot from it.

  Just because a controller speaks SCSI out the device side doesn't mean
it is supported by the DEC generic SCSI support in later VMS V5 releases.
The generic SCSI is for supported SCSI interfaces on the newer systems.

  If you decide to live with the restriction of the disk being a non-system
disk and you do write a driver, you'll discover that the protocol is a bit
different in the 2000, and you'll need the source to the disk drive's firm-
ware and possibly some hardware mods to the drive. All in all, not a pretty
sight.

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (09/19/90)

In article <7716@sunquest.UUCP>, gavron@alpha.sunquest.com (Ehud Gavron) writes:
> In article <1669@shodha.enet.dec.com>, alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) writes...
> #
> #	<re not trying to attach a third-party SCSI disk onto DEC's TK50
> #      controller>
>
>    Gosh, and how surprising that this opinion comes from someone
>    who works for DEC...

  In this case, I would take the advice seriously.  The TK50 was not designed
  to be a universally compatible SCSI device.  And more than one third-party
  combination of SCSI interface, SCSI disk, and SCSI tape has failed to work.

  Sometimes, the SCSI "standard" seems to have more in common with RS-232 than
  it should....

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny