[comp.sys.dec] SCSI Q-Bus controller for DECsystem 5400 with DEC RZ57

stefan@wheaton.UUCP (Stefan Brandle ) (08/29/90)

I've been round & round & round with my vendor.  No luck getting the RZ57 on a
controller and working.  The RZ57 works fine when I connect it to a DECsystem
3100, so it's probably not a problem with the RZ57 (DEC-labelled Micropolis, I
believe).

The controller card they (Digital Basics) have been pushing is the CMD
Technology CMD220/TM (dual disk/tape controller).  The second I put it in the
5400, the green LED (all OK) and the red LED (not all OK) both light up and
Ultrix does not see the controller when identifying controllers and devices at
boot time.

Right now I'm just about desperate enough to go with anything that works.  I've
got the controller to be recognized by Ultrix 3.0 on a VAXstation 3200 (the
controller shows up as an MSCP device), but any references to the disk just
hang and sit there.  Maybe there's something that needs to be switched on the
RZ57 to get it working with something other than DECsystem 3100.

Anybody have any _WORKING_ solutions to this problem of attaching an RZ57 to a
5400?  Lots of brownie points awarded for any working solutions.  I'll even
give out brownie points for untested solutions.

On a related theme, anybody know of _WORKING_ 4mm tape solutions for the 5400?
If not, what's your favorite 8mm solution?

I'm running Ultrix 3.1C.

Thanks,
Stefan Brandle
--
---------------------------------------------- MA Bell: (708) 260-4110 ---------
Stefan Brandle                  UUCP: ...!{obdient,uunet!tellab5}!wheaton!stefan

GEOMAGIC@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Daniel OConnell) (08/30/90)

>I've been round & round & round with my vendor.  No luck getting the RZ57 on a
>controller and working.  The RZ57 works fine when I connect it to a DECsystem
>3100, so it's probably not a problem with the RZ57 (DEC-labelled Micropolis, I
>believe).

>The controller card they (Digital Basics) have been pushing is the CMD
>Technology CMD220/TM (dual disk/tape controller).  The second I put it in the
>5400, the green LED (all OK) and the red LED (not all OK) both light up and
>Ultrix does not see the controller when identifying controllers and devices at
>boot time.

>Right now I'm just about desperate enough to go with anything that works.  I've
>got the controller to be recognized by Ultrix 3.0 on a VAXstation 3200 (the
>controller shows up as an MSCP device), but any references to the disk just
>hang and sit there.  Maybe there's something that needs to be switched on the
>RZ57 to get it working with something other than DECsystem 3100.

>Anybody have any _WORKING_ solutions to this problem of attaching an RZ57 to a
>5400?  Lots of brownie points awarded for any working solutions.  I'll even
>give out brownie points for untested solutions.

>I'm running Ultrix 3.1C.

We have a DILOG SCSI controller in our 5400. We have 3 WREN V's and 1 WREN
7 working just fine. Our disks are differential SCSI, the RZ57 is probably
single-ended. The DILOG controller is supposed to be switch selectable
between differential and single-ended. We have never (intentionally) tried
the single-ended configuration. We did forget to spec a differential WREN
7 and the result was very useful :).

We don't recommend our local DILOG salesleaze or installation people. In
fact, we did the installation after the installation tech said," Ultrix,
Unix, only speak VMS", and gave up. Anyway, the hardware works.

E-mail me if you want more detailed info (like part numbers).

Dan O'Connell
geomagic@geo1s.mps.ohio-state.edu (Ultrix)
geomagic@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (VMS)
geomagic@you.must.be.joking       (Wylbur)

allen@kwan.det.dec.com (Allen Leibowitz) (09/20/90)

In article <2160@wheaton.UUCP>, stefan@wheaton.UUCP (Stefan Brandle ) writes:
> The controller card they (Digital Basics) have been pushing is the CMD
> Technology CMD220/TM (dual disk/tape controller).  The second I put it in the
> 5400, the green LED (all OK) and the red LED (not all OK) both light up and
> Ultrix does not see the controller when identifying controllers and
devices at
> boot time.
>
> On a related theme, anybody know of _WORKING_ 4mm tape solutions for
the 5400?
> If not, what's your favorite 8mm solution?

We are using the CMD controller on our 5400, using the WangDAT drive also
from Digital Basics.  Works fine.

The CMD controller makes the tape look like a TMSCP device.  Haven't tried
it with a disk yet, though.  The system is 3.1.  The people at Digital
Basics are very helpful, have you tried calling them?

I don't have the switch settings for the board off hand, here is the
entry from the config file:

 controller      klesiu1    at uba0
 controller      uq17       at klesiu1   csr 0160404  vector uqintr
 tape            tms1       at uq17      drive 0