[comp.sys.dec] MicroVax hardware compatibility

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) (08/23/90)

I hope this doesn't sound too naive, but....

I have some software written for VMS version 4.6 that makes use of a PDP-11
backward compatibility mode.  I want to run the software on a microvax.  Is
this backward compatibility mode going to shoot me in the foot?

--
Scott Bostater      Georgia Tech Research Institute - Radar Systems Analysis
"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him"  -Ps 62.1

tihor@acf4.NYU.EDU (Stephen Tihor) (08/24/90)

Not if you buy the RSX-11 AME product that ships a compatibility mode emulator.
OF course it won't be fast.

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) (08/24/90)

In article <12927@hydra.gatech.EDU>, bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) writes:
> I have some software written for VMS version 4.6 that makes use of a PDP-11
> backward compatibility mode.  I want to run the software on a microvax.  Is
> this backward compatibility mode going to shoot me in the foot?

  The correct answer is "it depends". If your software did it the documented
way and used the RSX AME (Application Migration Executive), it will run on
the MicroVAX II *if* the II has the AME installed.

  On the other hand, if your software does it the way V4's TECO did it (by
providing it's own AME and kicking the CPU into compatibility mode) it won't
work, as the II doesn't have such a mode.

  Also, earlier versions of the AME did not supply a software emulator for
the CPUs that didn't have compatibility mode. The current version (V2.4) does
provide a software emulator.

  You can expect the software to run slower on the II, since the PDP-11 is
being emulated in software. Only the 700-series had hardware compatibility
mode. (Yes, I know about the 8600/8650. Those were planned to be called the
790/795, and are really 700-series CPU's).

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (08/24/90)

In article <12927@hydra.gatech.EDU>, bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) writes:
> I hope this doesn't sound too naive, but....
>
> I have some software written for VMS version 4.6 that makes use of a PDP-11
> backward compatibility mode.  I want to run the software on a microvax.  Is
> this backward compatibility mode going to shoot me in the foot?

Yes. MicroVAXen don't have PDP-11 compatability mode. The best you can do
is maybe get that code interpreted by some VAX software.

Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

don@zl2tnm.gp.govt.nz (Don Stokes) (08/24/90)

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) writes:

> I hope this doesn't sound too naive, but....
>
> I have some software written for VMS version 4.6 that makes use of a PDP-11
> backward compatibility mode.  I want to run the software on a microvax.  Is
> this backward compatibility mode going to shoot me in the foot?

Well, it depends how you define "shoot yourself in the foot".  If you
mean "will it work?", the answer is yes (you may need to purchase VAX
RSX; I'm not certain offhand if the emulation software is provided in
VMS or in the RSX kit).  Note I say "emulation" -- only VAX11/7xx and
VAX86xx machines have compatibility mode in hardware; others do it in
software.

In short, if you are using the PDP-11 compatibility mode instructions
extensively in compute intensive processing, you may suffer a serious
performance hit.  Otherwise, you might just get away with it.

Don Stokes, ZL2TNM  /  /                            Home: don@zl2tnm.gp.govt.nz
Systems Programmer /GP/ Government Printing Office  Work:        don@gp.govt.nz
__________________/  /__Wellington, New Zealand_____or:_PSI%(5301)47000028::DON

fenster@shum.huji.ac.il (Yaacov Fenster) (08/28/90)

In article <12927@hydra.gatech.EDU> bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) write
s:
>I have some software written for VMS version 4.6 that makes use of a PDP-11
>backward compatibility mode.  I want to run the software on a microvax.  Is
>this backward compatibility mode going to shoot me in the foot?
>--
>Scott Bostater      Georgia Tech Research Institute - Radar Systems Analysis
>Internet: bb16@prism.gatech.edu

 In addition to getting the RSX-AME product, which BTW runs ok, I remember seein
 information about a Hardware/Software product which involves putting a PDP CPU
into the QBUS, and downloading programs to run there.
Try to get Info from your salesman, if it doesn't help contact me, and I will se
what I can do about it. I also remember that they were looking for beta sites as
well.

 Yaacov
--
fenster@hujinix.bitnet
Please respond by e-mail, I will summarize and post.

mcculley@alien.enet.dec.com (09/20/90)

In article <1990Aug24.012018.485@spcvxb.spc.edu>, terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) writes...
>In article <12927@hydra.gatech.EDU>, bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) writes:
>> I have some software written for VMS version 4.6 that makes use of a PDP-11
>> backward compatibility mode.  I want to run the software on a microvax.  Is
>> this backward compatibility mode going to shoot me in the foot?
>
>  The correct answer is "it depends". If your software did it the documented
>way and used the RSX AME (Application Migration Executive), it will run on
>the MicroVAX II *if* the II has the AME installed.
> [...]
>  Also, earlier versions of the AME did not supply a software emulator for
>the CPUs that didn't have compatibility mode. The current version (V2.4) does
>provide a software emulator.

Also, if you really need to run the code on the MicroVAX with better
performance than the software emulator will give, you might look into the
CoProcessor/RSX (CP/RSX) product.  This uses the KXJ-11 board to provide a
PDP-11 coprocessor in Q-bus MicroVAX systems, with an RSX system running on the
coprocessor and a modified AME environment on the VAX side.  The KXJ-11 is a
J-11 CPU with some memory and a limited set of on-board I/O facilities, without
bus arbitration logic.  This provides a heterogenous multiprocessing
environment with CP/RSX software to handle the rather unusual hardware
configuration.
hardware