[comp.sys.dec] Problem with uucp on DECsystem 5400

jsh@dlogics.COM (John Howard) (09/21/90)

I am trying to get the following dialout uucp configuration to work:
A Trailblazer Plus modem (ROM version BA5.0) connected to
a DECserver 200/MC terminal server (running LAT) which is
in turn connected to a DECsystem 5400 running Ultrix 4.0.

I can send a sync string (AT\rATM2\r) and the dial command
(ATDT9phone-number\r) to the modem and the modem receives
the commands - I can hear the modem begin dialing. However
as soon as the the dial string is sent from the DECsystem
5400, it looks for the carrier immediately - and ALWAYS
senses it, even though the modem has not finished dialing.

The DECserver and port are setup as:

    DECserver 200 Terminal Server V3.0 (BL33) - LAT V5.1

    Please type HELP if you need assistance
    Enter username>

    Local> sho port 8 chara

    Port 8:                                Server: DSV006

    Character Size:            8           Input Speed:       19200
    Flow Control:           None           Output Speed:      19200
    Parity:                 None           Modem Control:   Enabled

    Access:              Dynamic           Local Switch:       None
    Backwards Switch:       None           Name:            MODEM_8
    Break:              Disabled           Session Limit:         4
    Forwards Switch:        None           Type:               Soft

    Dedicated Service: DISABLED

    Authorized Groups:   0-255
    (Current)  Groups:   0-255

    Enabled Characteristics:

    DTRwait,  Inactivity Logout

    Local> sho server chara

    DECserver 200 V3.0 BL33     LAT V5.1   ROM BL20    Uptime:  58 15:28:17

    Address:   08-00-2B-08-5C-BE   Name:   DSV006             Number:     0

    Identification:

    Circuit Timer:            80           Password Limit:            3
    Console Port:              1           Prompt:              Local>
    Inactivity Timer:         10           Queue Limit:              24
    Keepalive Timer:          20           Retransmit Limit:          8
    Multicast Timer:          30           Session Limit:            32
    Node Limit:              100           Software:          PR0801ENG

    Service Groups:   0
    Enabled Characteristics:
    Announcements,  Broadcast,  Dump,  Lock

The entry in /etc/acucap for the Trailblazer is:
#
# Telebit Trailblazer Plus  (upto 19200)
# registers set: S51=254, S52=2, S53=3, S54=4, S58=2
# Also NOTE that if a dhu (or equivalent) is used the variable
# "dhudsr" should be set to 0 in the kernel.
#
telebit|tbauto|trailblazer-auto|Telebit Trailblazer in auto mode S50=0:\
    :db:hu:ls:re:\
    :ss=\rAT\r\dATS131=2S61=200\r\dATM2\r\d:\
    :sr=OK:sd#250000:\
    :di=ATS50=0ATS51=254S52=2\r\dATS53=3S54=4\r\dS58=2\r\dATDT9:dt=\r:da#15:\
    :dd#9000:fd#1500:rs=,:os=CONNECT:ds=\d+++\dATZ\r:ab=\d+++\dATZ\r:

I have tried this entry both with and without the cr (wait for carrier
to be sensed) logical flag in the acucap entry and the behavior was
exactly the same in both cases - carrier was detected by uucico instantly
after the dial string was sent.

The Trailblazer+ has been set to the factory defaults and (as you can
see in the /etc/acucap entry above) the registers S50=0, S51=254, S52=2,
S53=3, S54=4, and S58=2 are being set.

I would also like to add that this modem has functioned
flawlessly connected to an i386 system running SCO Xenix
for the past 1.5 years.

Does anyone know of anything that might make this configuration work?
(I would even settle for a "you must be goofy to even attempt it"
response).

Please respond by email & I will post a summary if there is enough interest.
Thank you for your help.
--
John Howard                      +1 312 266 3232
Datalogics, Inc.                 jsh@dlogics.com

D. Allen [CGL]) (09/22/90)

In article <659@dlogics.COM> jsh@dlogics.COM (John Howard) writes:
>as soon as the the dial string is sent from the DECsystem
>5400, it looks for the carrier immediately - and ALWAYS
>senses it, even though the modem has not finished dialing.

Have you not been reading this newsgroup recently?  You can't do UUCP out
of a LAT port because for some reason LAT ports were designed without
modem signals on the Ultrix side.  If you can open the port to get to the
modem, that's all the info you're going to get about the connection.

UUCP depends on modem signals to detect carrier; the only reason UUCP
gets as far as it does is because the Ultrix programmer who modified it
didn't check the return calls from the ioctl()s he added that set modem
control and wait for carrier.  Those ioctl() calls fail, and UUCP
silently barges on to send UUCP data into an uncomprehending Telebit.

You're hosed.  I'm hosed too.  I moved my Telebit to a MVII serial card.
It works fine there.  If I get ambitious, I may pull out the TK70 tape
drive and put the serial card in my own 5400.  Oh heavy sigh.
--
-IAN! (Ian! D. Allen) idallen@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu
 [129.97.128.64]  Computer Graphics Lab/University of Waterloo/Ontario/Canada

mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) (09/22/90)

In article <1990Sep22.080903.11568@watcgl.waterloo.edu> idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes:
>In article <659@dlogics.COM> jsh@dlogics.COM (John Howard) writes:
>>as soon as the the dial string is sent from the DECsystem
>>5400, it looks for the carrier immediately - and ALWAYS
>>senses it, even though the modem has not finished dialing.
>
>Have you not been reading this newsgroup recently?  You can't do UUCP out
>of a LAT port because for some reason LAT ports were designed without
>modem signals on the Ultrix side.  If you can open the port to get to the
>modem, that's all the info you're going to get about the connection.

You CAN use UUCP out on a LAT port. Many people appear to be having problems
getting this to run, but it is possible.  We have a DECsystem 3100 running
Ultrix 4.0 and a DECserver 200.  I also got uucp to work fine under Ultrix
3.1D.

If you want the details on how to get this to work, just let me know.

---
Michael R. Almond                                 mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.                           gatech.edu!stiatl!srchtec!mra
Atlanta, Georgia                                  (404) 441-1457 (work)

spa@fctunl.rccn.pt (Salvador Pinto Abreu) (09/25/90)

In article <221@srchtec.UUCP> mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) writes:
[...]
   You CAN use UUCP out on a LAT port. Many people appear to be having problems
   getting this to run, but it is possible.  We have a DECsystem 3100 running
   Ultrix 4.0 and a DECserver 200.  I also got uucp to work fine under Ultrix
   3.1D.

   If you want the details on how to get this to work, just let me know.

I'm also VERY interested in how to do this. Can you post or mail me
this stuff?
--
---
Salvador Pinto Abreu	              BITNET/Internet: spa@fctunl.rccn.pt
 |   Departamento de Informatica   +----------------------------------+
 |   Universidade Nova de Lisboa      2825 Monte Caparica, PORTUGAL   |