[comp.sys.dec] 8mm tapes on DECstation 5000

fox@VIXEN.NSCL.MSU.EDU (09/24/90)

  My apologies, since I'm sure this has been asked before (many times?),
however I'm a new subscriber.  Does anyone have a reliably working 8mm
tape drive on the SCSI port of a DECSTATION-5000?  If so, which manufacturer,
and how do you configure it into the system.
  The DS-5000 I'll be getting in the next few weeks will by our first UNIX
system, so apologies for my ignorance in advance.

		Ron

Ron Fox                     | FOX@MSUNSCL.BITNET      | Where the name
NSCL                        | FOX@CYCVAX.NSCL.MSU.EDU | goes on before
Michigan State University   | MSUHEP::CYCVAX::FOX     | the quality
East Lansing, MI 48824-1321 |                         | goes in.
USA

frank@croton.enet.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (09/25/90)

Well, one unit that does come to mind is the TKZ08-AA from Digital.  You might
want to ask your local DEC sales person about this.  ;-)

					Frank

thewalt@canuck.ce.berkeley.edu (C. Thewalt) (09/25/90)

In article <1990Sep24.142800.22883@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> fox@VIXEN.NSCL.MSU.EDU writes:

     My apologies, since I'm sure this has been asked before (many times?),
   however I'm a new subscriber.  Does anyone have a reliably working 8mm
   tape drive on the SCSI port of a DECSTATION-5000? If so, which manufacturer
   and how do you configure it into the system.
     The DS-5000 I'll be getting in the next few weeks will by our first UNIX
   system, so apologies for my ignorance in advance.

I think that due to the 4mm subsystem delays DEC actually sells and
8mm system right now.  I bought a Mountain Filesafe 2100D which has
been working well.  This is all ready for the DECstation and is pretty
much plug in and go, just need a few bizarre parameters when dumping.

Chris

--
Christopher Robin Thewalt               These opinions are not necessarily
thewalt@ce.berkeley.edu                 shared by my employer...

mathisen@dali.cs.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) (09/25/90)

In article <1990Sep24.142800.22883@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> fox@VIXEN.NSCL.MSU.EDU writes:

>  My apologies, since I'm sure this has been asked before (many times?),
>however I'm a new subscriber.  Does anyone have a reliably working 8mm
>tape drive on the SCSI port of a DECSTATION-5000?  If so, which manufacturer,
>and how do you configure it into the system.
>  The DS-5000 I'll be getting in the next few weeks will by our first UNIX
>system, so apologies for my ignorance in advance.

I'm using a Contemporary Cybernetics 8mm drive.  It plugged and played
right out of the box.  The only problems is that the default unit is #0,
but that hasn't been a problem.  I'm sure it's changeable, I just haven't
needed to.