[comp.sys.dec] Can a PDP-11 read IBM PC format diskettes?

walter@ACT.UUCP (Alan Walter) (09/25/90)

Does anyone have a program or device driver which will allow a PDP-11/23
to copy datafiles from a 3-1/2" floppy disk written by an IBM PS/2
Model 70?

A second alternative:  Does anyone have a program which will allow
an IBM PS/2 Model 70 computer to write datafiles to diskette in a format
which can be read by a PDP-11/23?

The configuration of the PDP is:
    PDP-11/23
    RT-11 version 5.01 Operating System
    QM-606 floppy disk/hard controller card from Distributed Logic
       Corporation (DiLog)
    Fujitsu 3-1/2" floppy disk

DiLog has told me that their controller accesses the floppy drive
in the same track/sector configuration as the IBM PC, so the data ought
to be available if I can work through the filesystem incompatibilities.

Typically, a program such as Kermit would be sufficient for transferring
data in this manner.  Unfortunately, the PDP system is at a location without
telephone or serial cable access so diskettes are the only means of
transferring the data.

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance you can provide.
R. Alan Walter              A.C.T. Consulting, Inc.         Voice: 216-455-1444
   PATHS: uunet!{ncoast,aablue}!fmsystm!bmhalh!ACT!walter
          (NOTE: the system name "fmsystm" is with no "e", NOT "fmsystem")
  *NOTE*: Please do not use walter@ACT.UUCP -- I'm not registered yet.

phys169@canterbury.ac.nz (09/26/90)

In article <8@ACT.UUCP>, walter@ACT.UUCP (Alan Walter) writes:
> Does anyone have a program or device driver which will allow a PDP-11/23
> to copy datafiles from a 3-1/2" floppy disk written by an IBM PS/2
> Model 70?
>
> A second alternative:  Does anyone have a program which will allow
> an IBM PS/2 Model 70 computer to write datafiles to diskette in a format
> which can be read by a PDP-11/23?

I have a program to read & write RT11 *5 1/4 inch* diskettes, if any one wants
the source (Turbo Pascal) and is willing to play around with it to work with
the 3 1/2 inch disks and make the results available, I'll send a copy. The
program is a bit too big to post in its source form here, but I'm happy to make
it available (especially to anyone providing an anon. ftp site).

Mark Aitchison, Physics, University of Canterbury, New Zealand.