[comp.sys.dec] DEC and Emacs

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (09/27/90)

In the book "The Digital COHESION Environment for CASE", DEC writes:

  "EMACS or GNU EMACS is a public domain editor.
   xedit is a DECwindows-enhanced version of the EMACS editor."

The first sentence is true, but isn't the other one deliberately
misleading?

Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv

dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep26.193829.2416@squirrel.mh.nl> Johan Vromans <jv@mh.nl> writes:
 > In the book "The Digital COHESION Environment for CASE", DEC writes:
 >   "EMACS or GNU EMACS is a public domain editor.
 >    xedit is a DECwindows-enhanced version of the EMACS editor."
 > The first sentence is true, but isn't the other one deliberately
 > misleading?
The first sentence is also not true.
dik@cwi.nl

gsh7w@astsun9.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Hennessy) (09/27/90)

#
#  "EMACS or GNU EMACS is a public domain editor.
#   xedit is a DECwindows-enhanced version of the EMACS editor."
#
#The first sentence is true, but isn't the other one deliberately
#misleading?

The first sentence is not even true.

--
-Greg Hennessy, University of Virginia
 USPS Mail:     Astronomy Department, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475 USA

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (09/27/90)

Not deliberately misleading, but it is false.  Send a correction to the address
that is probably in the back or mail me the address or phone # and I will.
The writer meant dxnotepad.  You'd be surprised how many people who write
these things call some supposed expert and then use whatever they say
as gospel.

Again, I am 100% sure it was not meant to mislead.  The writer made a
mistake and meant dxnotepad which has similar functionality to xedit.
(It of course is not a DECwindows version of EMACS at all... that is
another story... but it does have EMACS-like commands.  GNU Emacs is
and X-based EMACS-like editor :-).

Fred

In article <1990Sep27.023905.29197@decuac.dec.com> avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:

> Again, I am 100% sure it was not meant to mislead.  The writer made a
> mistake and meant dxnotepad which has similar functionality to xedit.

dxnotpad is mentioned on itself, a few lines farther.

	Johan