[comp.sys.dec] user byte in file header FH1$B_USERCHAR

sdm7g@dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Steve D. Majewski) (09/27/90)

  As far as I have been able to decipher, VAX/VMS RMS leaves ONE byte
  in the file header that can be user defined. ( I believe it is
  FH1$B_USERCHAR, but it's been a while since I poked around. )

  1) Is this still "reserved for users" , or has DEC taken it back
     to reserve for something else?

  2) Has anyone out there actually tried to use it for anything ?

   [ What I had in mind, once, long ago, was modifying the I/O to     ]
   [ do auto-magic file compression/decompression: If the right bit   ]
   [ in FH1$B_USERCHAR is set, then the first item in the file is     ]
   [ the decompression map :: decompress and unblock the records      ]
   [ on reads. This obviously would entail re-vectoring SYS$OPEN,     ]
   [  SYS$READ, SYS$GET, etc. Other info that could tag along         ]
   [ could be audit trails, file comments, etc., the idea being that  ]
   [ the extra data would be invisible to "normal" reads, and the     ]
   [ files still compatable with their applications.                  ]
   [ The necessity of doing this on VMS has passes, as we are moving  ]
   [ more applications over to UNIX, but I am still curious about     ]
   [ whether my original notion was practical. And I am interested    ]
   [ in comparing the difficulty of the same project in VMS vs UNIX.  ]

  3) Has DEC ever published anything on RMS/ODS/File&I/O systems as
     exhaustive as the black book on VMS internals? Or anything ?

 If you reply via E-mail, I will summarize and post.

 - Steve Majewski    sdm7g@virginia.edu

 Steven D. Majewski		University of Virginia Physiology Dept.
 sdm7g@Virginia.EDU		Box 449 Health Sciences Center
 (804)-982-0831			Charlottesville, VA 22908

munroe@dmc.com (10/01/90)

In article <1990Sep26.182837.618@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, sdm7g@dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Steve D. Majewski) writes:

>   3) Has DEC ever published anything on RMS/ODS/File&I/O systems as
>      exhaustive as the black book on VMS internals? Or anything ?

The newest version of the VMS IDSM book apparently has a substantial
section on the ODS2 XQP/ACP.  Since I haven't seen a copy yet, I can't
speak from personal knowledge, but I have it from a "reliable source".
--
Dick Munroe				Internet: munroe@dmc.com
Doyle Munroe Consultants, Inc.		UUCP: ...uunet!thehulk!munroe

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) (10/02/90)

In article <1347@dmc.com>, munroe@dmc.com writes:
> The newest version of the VMS IDSM book apparently has a substantial
> section on the ODS2 XQP/ACP.  Since I haven't seen a copy yet, I can't
> speak from personal knowledge, but I have it from a "reliable source".

  Maybe you mean "VMS File System Internals", order # EY-F575E-DP, a sep-
erate book? It discusses ODS-2 and the XQP/ACP, but doesn't have a lot to
say about RMS...

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381