[comp.sys.dec] AnswerBack Option on VT Terminals

grx0644@uoft02.utoledo.edu (10/10/90)

	I don't read this new group often, so if anyone can help me out, I'd be
greatful responces directly to me. Here's the problem/question:

	On most vt termials, there are options that tell the host mainframe (in
this case, a VMS system). When the vms system executes a inquire command, the
terminal reponds with the type of vt it is. Now I have noticed that most vt
terminals (including my vt 1.02 emulator) has an option called answerback and
it accepts a text string for its setting. I am interested in the codes that one
might send to invoke the terminal to transmit this string, defined in the
answerback.  Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks,

Tony

j_prigot@wrglex.uucp (10/13/90)

In article <1990Oct10.031153.1846@uoft02.utoledo.edu>, grx0644@uoft02.utoledo.edu writes:
> 	I don't read this new group often, so if anyone can help me out, I'd be
> greatful responces directly to me. Here's the problem/question:
>
> 	On most vt termials, there are options that tell the host mainframe (in
> this case, a VMS system). When the vms system executes a inquire command, the
> terminal reponds with the type of vt it is. Now I have noticed that most vt
> terminals (including my vt 1.02 emulator) has an option called answerback and
> it accepts a text string for its setting. I am interested in the codes that one
> might send to invoke the terminal to transmit this string, defined in the
> answerback.  Does anyone have any ideas??
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony

The character that causes the answerback string to be sent is the ENQ (\005 or
^E) character. This has been around since the days of teletypes (tm).

--
Jonathan M. Prigot      j_prigot@wrglex or ...!drilex!wrglex!j_prigot