[comp.sys.dec] VMS vs Ultrix

bemery@nmsu.edu (Bryan Emery) (09/19/90)

I have been asked to talk to our DECUS LUG about VMS vs. Ultrix and some of
the pros and cons of each.  Most of my audience will be avid VMS people.  I
thought I would post a request to this most learned body of readers and see
if I could get some opinions from those of you out there.  Any takers??

Are there security advantages of one over the other?  What about real-time
control of data acquisition?  AND anything else you can think of...

Bryan Emery

rzelman@coh.UUCP (R. Zelman) (10/16/90)

We are currently in the process of evaluating a fundraising package for our
medical center.  The database will consist of over 1 million records.  There
will be approximately 50 on-line terminals with heavy inquiry into the database.The vendor is proposing 2 systems:
1) A VAX 6000 running VMS
2) A RISC 5800 running Ultrix

We are new to the DEC world here (we are currently an IBM shop) and would
appreciate any comments as to the benefits of VMS vs Ultrix, the stability of
the RISC machines vs a VAX 6000 and any other comments regarding the pros and
cons of one platform vs the other.

I realize this is an open ended question but any input is appreciated.
Please respond to me directly.  Thanks in advance.

Ron Zelman                          Internet:  rzelman%coh@usc.edu
Technical Services Manager
City of Hope Medical Center
Duarte, CA  91910
818-359-8111
.

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (10/18/90)

In article <252@coh.UUCP>, rzelman@coh.UUCP (R. Zelman) writes:
> We are currently in the process of evaluating a fundraising package for our
> medical center.  The database will consist of over 1 million records.  There
> will be approximately 50 on-line terminals with heavy inquiry into the database.The vendor is proposing 2 systems:
> 1) A VAX 6000 running VMS
> 2) A RISC 5800 running Ultrix

  Your salesman must really want to sell you VMS :-)

  Seriously, though, if you do wish to pursue ULTRIX and you want to go with
  a single central machine,  I would insist that DEC offer (and let you test)
  the upcoming 5500.

  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny
  pavlov@stewart.fstrf.org