[comp.sys.dec] Why So Few Commercial Applications That Use RPC?

Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) (10/26/90)

Given the widespread availability of RPC technology in the UNIX world,
I am wondering why haven't more vendors offered commercial applications
that make use of the RPC technology?  What are the technical or business
issues that keep process modeling or simulation or other mathematically
intensive applications from making use of the power of a number of machines
on the network?  Note that I am talking about applications that
vendors write and resell to end-users and not about homegrown
applications.

Thanks,
Will Estes        (sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Will)

RBNTJC@ROHVM1.BITNET (Thomas J Cozzolino) (10/27/90)

I can't understand why there aren't more RPC-based commercial applications
out there.

We took a monolithic FORTRAN molecular modelling program and partitioned it to
run graphics on a DN-3000 and a minimization on an Alliant mini-super around
2 years ago (way back to NCS ver. 1.0).  It wasn't that much fun at the time,
but it worked.

Maybe most software companies aren't prepared for the support that would be
involved in running a "shink-wrapped" application over a combination of many
vendors' equipment.  Another big fear is the Sun vs. HP/Apollo RPC issue that
so many of us are tired of hearing about.  Let's get some applications already|

Oh well.  Maybe when Motif and DCE become realities... (?)

joshua@athertn.Atherton.COM (Flame Bait) (10/30/90)

RBNTJC@ROHVM1.BITNET (Thomas J Cozzolino) writes:
> I can't understand why there aren't more RPC-based commercial
> applications out there.

If you knew the answer to this question, you could make lots of money
selling it.  Programmers and end users are crying out for distributed
platforms and applications.  At the same time, vendors are supplying
pretty good RPC systems.  Yet, there are few RPC based distributed
applications.

> Maybe most software companies aren't prepared for the support that would be
> involved in running a "shink-wrapped" application over a combination of many
> vendors' equipment.

Perhaps, but there are lots of socket based distributed applications,
which should have the same problems.

> Another big fear is the Sun vs. HP/Apollo RPC issue that so many of us
> are tired of hearing about.  Let's get some applications already|

Again, perhaps, but that those fears seem to be limited to Sun and HP.
Each afraid they might loose, I'm not sure that applications writers
really care that much.  I didn't.

The other "usual suspects" for the lack of RPC applications are lack of
debugging tools and lack of partitioning tools.  But I'm not sure I
buy into that, either.

My best guess is that it is inertia.  UNIX communications programming has
always been an arcane specialty.  The people who did it all started with
sockets, and are continuing to use what they know best.  As new people
start doing communications programming they will use RPC more and more.
The arcane aspect also makes companies warry of taking existing applications
and distributing them.  Unless the performance is really bad or the
application really needs data somewhere else, they are unlikely to take
the time and efford to use RPC.  (And of course the applications can't
be that slow or that in need of other data or they would not have been
written in the first place.  Catch-22.)

Another problem is standards.  Not the Sun/HP conflict, but RFCs.  These
"Request For Comment" documents define various standards, de facto standards
and targets.  They specify all (or almost all) protocols as data passed
over UDP and TCP.  Therefore, it is impossible to write a standard
conforming SNMP, SMTP, or ARP servers (for example) using RPC.  This
encourages people to use sockets for other server programs they need to
write.  It would be nice if we could see some RFC protocols defined as
RPC specifications, but there are lots of practical problems.

         I did, and it worked fine.

BTW: I read and liked your (Cozzolino's) paper describing your distributed
     application.

Joshua Levy  (joshua@atherton.com)