[net.news.group] More discussion on deleting net.general

gen-vote@phri.UUCP (delete net.general) (02/18/86)

From: Edoardo Biagioni <unc!biagioni>
Subject: delete net.general, discussion

I feel net.general should be deleted, it will help get rid of all the
"clever" a******s who just use it to advertise (for free) their own
private businesses, together with all those who just plain have no
idea what they're doing or how many people are attached to the net.
However, that will cause net.announce to become the primary newsgroup
for (legitimately) announce new products. I am not sure that is a
good idea, but I suspect the benefits override the risks.
			Ed Biagioni
			decvax!mcnc!unc!biagioni
			seismo!mcnc!unc!biagioni

----------------

From: duvel!frans
Subject: Re: keep net.general; discussion

I still think net.general is useful. However, maybe it should be made a
mod group. In other cases, to avoid "lost earrings and dinette set"
problems, we can for instance give all system administrators, permission
to cancel inappropriate messages. I think they are responsible enough, not
to mess things up, and if someone really want to foul things, well that's
possible now too!
--
	Frans Meulenbroeks, Philips Microprocessor Development Systems
		   ...!{seismo|philabs|decvax}!mcvax!philmds!frans

--
Roy Smith, {allegra,philabs}!phri!roy
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016