[comp.sys.dec] Ultrix and DSSI

braun@dri.com (Karl T. Braun (kral)) (10/30/90)

We are currently running a Dual System MV3400 with 4 RF31s on the DSSI.  In
doing some [rare] forward planning, I was wondering if it might be possible in
the future to split up the configuration so that one machine is running Ultrix
and the other is still running VMS.  My two major concerns at this point are:

1)	Can Ultrix make use if the DSSI bus?

2)	Is it possible for for Ultrix disks and VMS disks to reside on the
	same DSSI bus, even though each O/S can't access the disks of the other
	w/o goign through the owning host?

Any info, or even speculation, is welcome.

--
kral * 408/647-6112 *               ...!uunet!drivax!braun * braun@dri.com
That which does not kill us Makes us stronger - Nietzche

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (10/31/90)

In article <KJCS3PZ@dri.com>, braun@dri.com (Karl T. Braun (kral)) writes:

> 1)	Can Ultrix make use if the DSSI bus?

	The DSSI was supported starting in ULTRIX V3.1 if I
	rememeber correctly.

> 2)	Is it possible for Ultrix disks and VMS disks to reside on the
> 	same DSSI bus, even though each O/S can't access the disks of the other
> 	w/o goign through the owning host?

   This is the DEC side of speaking, though I certainly don't
   represent DEC on the matter.  I just work here....

	This is the tough one.  It certainly isn't supported.  It
	probably isn't even tested.  If you try it and something
	breaks then it's your problem.  Be sure to have good backups
	before testing it.

    This is speculation...

	If you're feeling brave shutdown both VMS systems and write
	protect the VMS RF's you don't want to touch.  I've never
	had my hands on a real system with DSSI disks, but I'll assume
	there is a write-protect switch there somewhere.  Install
	ULTRIX on the other system.  If that much works, then it
	will probably work with the other VMS system running.  Do
	lots of testing with both systems up, but don't do any useful
	work in case it breaks.  If you're satisfied that it seems
	to work, enjoy.

	If it runs, you have a configuration that looks very much
	like an ULTRIX and VMS system on the same CI.  Don't assume
	that mounting a disk from one systems shuts out access from
	the other.  The VMS system may still be able to access the
	ULTRIX disks and ULTRIX the VMS disks.  I don't know if the
	RF series supports exclusive access.  I wouldn't want to
	find out the hard way.

Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.enet.dec.com