[comp.sys.dec] VAX 730 standalone boot, and a PDP-8 question...

Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) (11/04/90)

Well, its been some time since Ive posted dumb questions to this newsgroup,
so here I go again!:-)

How does one go about doing the standalone boot in the VAX 730? Ive already
done SYS$UPDATE:STABACKIT.COM (or whatever) to build the kit on the RL02,
and now I want to boot it. Ive looked at the stuff on the console tape
(at the >>> typed DIR) and didnt see anything really obvious (to me).
Someone once told me that it was B STA, but there is no STABOO.CMD
on the tape... or perhaps my console tape is incomplete?

On a lighter side of things, a while back, someone once mentioned a
PDP-8 mailing list, but of course, I dont have the address. It was
something like pdp8-lovers@...

Thanx:-)

Billy D'Augustine

slsw2@cc.usu.edu (11/06/90)

In article <35548@cup.portal.com>, Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) writes:
> How does one go about doing the standalone boot in the VAX 730? Ive already
> done SYS$UPDATE:STABACKIT.COM (or whatever) to build the kit on the RL02,
> and now I want to boot it. Ive looked at the stuff on the console tape
> (at the >>> typed DIR) and didnt see anything really obvious (to me).
> Someone once told me that it was B STA, but there is no STABOO.CMD
> on the tape... or perhaps my console tape is incomplete?

>>> B DQx

where 'x' the number of the drive. Your console media has to have DQxBOO.CMD,
of course. You can copy DQxBOO.CMD to STABOO.CMD if you really want to do
B STA.
Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321