[comp.sys.dec] Dec DEMPR problems

hickeyd@ul.ie (11/05/90)

We are experiencing network problems on our ethernet lan. Large quantities
of CRC errors are occurring. Our focus is on the Dec DEMPR units. Has anyone
experienced difficulties with these units.

Any replies appreciated.

		Denis
Denis Hickey	ITD	University of Limerick	Tel:   061-333644 x2365
						Email: hickeyd@ul.ie

In article <9609.27355227@ul.ie> hickeyd@ul.ie writes:
> We are experiencing network problems on our ethernet lan. Large quantities
> of CRC errors are occurring. Our focus is on the Dec DEMPR units. Has anyone
> experienced difficulties with these units.

I don't know of any specific ill repute associated with DEMPR's.  Our last
major net disease was one bad thin wire ethernet card that was slobbering
over everybody else's messages, and *not* being isolated by our thin-wire
device (cabletron DEMPR equivalent).

Check that your ethernet follows the conservative side of all the ethernet
configuration rules, then start unplugging things till you isolate the bad
branch/unit...  If this isn't a breakdown, but an on-going problem you've
just recognized, check the cabling and little things like heart-beat presence
corresponding to type of device.

pithy quote of the day:
"...the worst problem with thin-wire is the existance of arcnet cables"...