[comp.sys.dec] compiling at&tc++ on decvaxstation 3100

aninda@pawl.rpi.edu (Anindadeb V. Dasgupta) (11/06/90)

I'm sorry if this has been posted before or solutions to this
have appeared. I'm having problems compiling at&tc++2.1 on our
decvaxstations 3100 running ultrix 3.2b.
I've managed to go through the make scratch successfully

when I do a make munch I get the following error message.

/usr/c_plus_plus/CC: illegal io
Since it is proprietary at&t source code I don't want to include
it with this posting.

Has anyone successfully managed to install it on a similar
system. I would appreciate any kind of suggestions or
comments of any kind.

I'll try and summarize where exactly the  error occurs.

>>make munch

It checks to see if bsd.fix has been run.
It then creates the object code for patch.c
It finally goes into cd src && tries to compile alloc.c.
All output at this point is sent to stdout (my screen).
At the end of the routine (I assume it compiled it all)
it returns with the error message /usr/c_plus_plus/CC: illegal io.

The object file never does get created.
This could be a bug in the CC compiler provided by AT&T for compilation
purposes........

--
/**************************************************************/
/*      aninda@pawl.rpi.edu    Aninda Dasgupta                */

fuchs@it.uka.de (Harald Fuchs) (11/06/90)

aninda@pawl.rpi.edu (Anindadeb V. Dasgupta) writes:
>At the end of the routine (I assume it compiled it all)
>it returns with the error message /usr/c_plus_plus/CC: illegal io.
>The object file never does get created.
>This could be a bug in the CC compiler provided by AT&T for compilation
>purposes........
Nah, it's a bug in the CC sh script. Ultrix' sh doesn't like IO
redirection for `read'.
--

Harald Fuchs <fuchs@it.uka.de> <fuchs%it.uka.de@relay.cs.net> ...
<fuchs@telematik.informatik.uni-karlsruhe.dbp.de>   *gulp*

grue@caen.engin.umich.edu (Paul Howell) (11/08/90)

In article <fuchs.657886100@t5000>, fuchs@it.uka.de (Harald Fuchs) writes:
|> aninda@pawl.rpi.edu (Anindadeb V. Dasgupta) writes:
|> >At the end of the routine (I assume it compiled it all)
|> >it returns with the error message /usr/c_plus_plus/CC: illegal io.
|> >The object file never does get created.
|> >This could be a bug in the CC compiler provided by AT&T for compilation
|> >purposes........
|> Nah, it's a bug in the CC sh script. Ultrix' sh doesn't like IO
|> redirection for `read'.
|> --
|>
|> Harald Fuchs <fuchs@it.uka.de> <fuchs%it.uka.de@relay.cs.net> ...
|> <fuchs@telematik.informatik.uni-karlsruhe.dbp.de>   *gulp*

Replace /bin/sh in the scripts and makefiles, with /bin/sh5.  That'll
solve alot of problems due to an old /bin/sh from digital.

---
Paul Howell
grue@caen.engin.umich.edu