[comp.sys.dec] TS-11 Preservation

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (11/07/90)

My TS-11 tape drive uses a rubber O ring to secure the tape
supply reel.  This ring stretches over time, making it hard to
install and remove reels of tape.

I don't know how hard it is to find a fresh O ring, but I
think I have devised an alternative.  Simply remove the O ring
from the reel assembly when the drive is not in use.  This
helps the O ring regain its youthful dimensions.

Preliminary results demonstrate a 69 per cent in the number of
oaths required to mount and dismount tape reels.  A welcome
change as orders for the new VMS rx/sx/rb/sz/rz/sz with wild
cards, Crash Recovery, VMS file format support, etc.  seem to
be picking up.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF

alo@kampi.hut.fi (Antti Louko) (11/09/90)

In article <44@omen.UUCP> caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:
>My TS-11 tape drive uses a rubber O ring to secure the tape
>supply reel.  This ring stretches over time, making it hard to
>install and remove reels of tape.

>I don't know how hard it is to find a fresh O ring, but I
>think I have devised an alternative.  Simply remove the O ring
>from the reel assembly when the drive is not in use.  This
>helps the O ring regain its youthful dimensions.

Years ago, our TS-11 had the same problem. I suggested our DEC
serviceperson to replace the O-ring. He said the ring is OK, it just
needs some lubrication with silicone oil (one which doesn't harm any
plastic or rubber parts). He sprayed some oil into the ring, wiped the
extra away oil with a cloth and after this magic the mechanism worked
like charm.

I wouldn't have dreamed to put any OIL into a place which seems to
need friction.

DON'T use petroleum based oil because it can ruin the O-RING
permanently. Use only oil made for rubber and plastics.

	Antti