[comp.sys.dec] DECnet Level 1 and Level 2 Routing

nik@Shiva.COM (Nik Langrind) (11/10/90)

Is it ever permissible for a DECnet level 1 router to send a
message to an area router outside its own area?  My reading of the
Routing spec indicates "no" but I'm unsure of the meaning of the
term "nearest level 2 router," so perhaps it is permitted.  The
implementation that I'm maintaining (which is an Ethernet level 1
router) will forward to an area router outside its area.  The area
router (a VAX) accepts and routes the message.  A VAX Level 1 router
on the other hand, would have forwarded only to an area router in its
own area.

So, I would correct this seeming error, but I'm worried that it
may actually be a feature, or it may actually be the correct
behaviour.

				.........o
				.     o--+-----o
				.        o     |	1 Cambridge Center
Nik Langrind			.      Shiva   |	Cambridge, MA  02142
nik@Shiva.COM			.	  .    |	Tel (617) 252-6429
				.	  o----o	Fax (617) 252-6852
	Shiva Corporation	.
       .........................o

karsten@tfl.dk (11/10/90)

In article <1990Nov9.190156.14366@Shiva.COM>, nik@Shiva.COM (Nik Langrind) writes:
> Is it ever permissible for a DECnet level 1 router to send a
> message to an area router outside its own area?  My reading of the
> Routing spec indicates "no" but I'm unsure of the meaning of the
> term "nearest level 2 router," so perhaps it is permitted.  The
> implementation that I'm maintaining (which is an Ethernet level 1
> router) will forward to an area router outside its area.  The area
> router (a VAX) accepts and routes the message.  A VAX Level 1 router
> on the other hand, would have forwarded only to an area router in its
> own area.

A level 1 router (or end node) may only talk to nodes, i.e.,
end nodes, and routers in its on area.  If a level 1 router
(or end node) wants to talk to any node, included area
routers, in an other area, it must let its messages pass the
nearest area router in its own area.  However not all third
party products follow the rules.  Sunlink (from Sun) allow
(or allowed) you to communicate directly from a Sun to an
node in an other area and if the other node is an end node
and the address of the Sun is cached then also the the other
way.

Karsten Nyblad
TFL, A Danish Telecommunication Research Laboratory
E-mail: karsten@tfl.dk