[comp.sys.dec] Sleeve-cartridge thingies for RRD40?

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) (11/09/90)

In article <6012@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) writes:
> The DEC people we talked to said they don't sell them and didn't know where
> we could get them.  Any info, such as a DEC part number (in case the DEC
> people we talked to earlier just weren't with it), or pointers to
> other sources would be appreciated.

  DEC has two services that can help you: Part Number Assistance and Unlisted
Parts. Part Number Assistance will look up part numbers for you in one of two
ways: For a DEC-built item, just describe the part. Your RRD40 sleeve descrip-
tion will be fine. For a non-DEC-built item (like the LP25/26 printer), you
need to give them the vendor's part number and they'll convert it to the DEC
part number.

  Everything DEC sells has a part number, but it may be an item that isn't
generally available. Unlisted Parts will take the part number, determine the
price and availability, and transfer you to DECdirect who will then happily
take your order.

  Both of these services (Part Number Assistance and Unlisted Parts) can be
reached at 603-884-5000.

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381

nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) (11/10/90)

We recently installed an RRD40 CD-ROM drive for our VAXcluster.  We
would like to obtain more of the sleeve-cartridge thingies.  The DEC
people we talked to said they don't sell them and didn't know where we
could get them.  Any info, such as a DEC part number (in case the DEC
people we talked to earlier just weren't with it), or pointers to
other sources would be appreciated.

Charles Allen			Internet: cca@physics.purdue.edu
Department of Physics			  nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu
Purdue University		HEPnet:   purdnu::allen, fnal::cca
West Lafayette, IN  47907	talknet:  317/494-9776

allen@kwan.det.dec.com (Allen Leibowitz) (11/10/90)

The sleeve as it is called in the RRD40 manual is listed this way in the
latest price book:

RRD4X-AA CADDY FOR COMPACT DISKS

Ask for it by name!  :-)

Any salesperson should be able to order it.  You can probably order through
DEC Direct with a charge card.

> could get them.  Any info, such as a DEC part number (in case the DEC
> people we talked to earlier just weren't with it), or pointers to
> other sources would be appreciated.
>
> Charles Allen			Internet: cca@physics.purdue.edu
> Department of Physics			  nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu
> Purdue University		HEPnet:   purdnu::allen, fnal::cca
> West Lafayette, IN  47907	talknet:  317/494-9776

Allen Leibowitz
DEC ULTRIX Resource Center       <allen@kwan.det.dec.com>
Farmington Hills, Michigan  USA

In article <6012@mace.cc.purdue.edu> nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) writes:
> We recently installed an RRD40 CD-ROM drive for our VAXcluster.  We
> would like to obtain more of the sleeve-cartridge thingies.  The DEC
> people we talked to said they don't sell them and didn't know where we
> could get them.

They're called Caddys and they are supposed to be readily available from commerical
sources.  I'll have to ask some of the CD-ROM type people here where they get them.

bruce@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (11/13/90)

In article <6012@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) writes:
> would like to obtain more of the sleeve-cartridge thingies.  The DEC

DEC's drives are by LMS (Laser Magnetic Storage International Company - a North
American Philips Company).

In Colorado Springs they are at:

1.800.777.5674
1.719.593.4269

In The Netherlands:

31.40.758753

Distribution is by Arrow, Bel Microsystems, and, in Woburn MA by Coptec,
and probably others.

The drives will be ~500. The caddies are apt to seem expensive
unless bought in significant quantity. Unlike the flip open caddies that
others make, this caddy is designed to protect the disc in shipment, and
so targets OEM users like DEC. You will probably pay ~$1500 to get a CDROM
mastered, and ~$1.85 a copy with one color silk screening and a simple black
and white label all in a flip top jewel box in ANY qunatity (1-10k+).

I doubt you will get spare caddies anywhere near as low as the complete
disk in a jewel box ($1.85)!

If you don't need thousands instantly, just wait a while. Everyone getting
DEC's s/w distribution on cdrom is building a large supply.

When you buy your Decus 'SIG tape' in CDROM format at Symposia, they GIVE
you a caddy, but only if you ASK. Other suppliers might, too. Does no harm
asking.

nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) (11/15/90)

Thanks to all the people who sent replies.  For those who are
interested, DEC *used* to sell the caddies at $40 a pop, but they no
longer do.  We're currently planning on accumulating "extras" from the
VMS CD distributions.