[comp.sys.dec] VMS and ULTRIX on the same CI ?

rossperr@sud509.ed.ray.com (Fred Ross-Perry) (11/16/90)

I have a mixed-interconnect VAX cluster with 8800, 785, 6240 and
VAXStation 3100s.  The disks are connect to the star coupler with
two HSC 70-s, all dual-ported.  VMS version is 5.3-1.  A few tape
drives, too.

I want to know if I can add another 785 to the star coupler, and a
disk to the HSCs, and run ULTRIX on it?  If so exactly how do I
go about it, making sure that the existing VMS cluster does not
get confused.

There is no requirement that the VMS and ULTRIX systems actually share
disks.  They will be on the same ethernet.

HELP!

 Fred Ross-Perry         Raytheon Company
 fredrp@mar.ed.ray.com   Equipment Division
 (508) 440-4481          528 Boston Post Road
                         Sudbury, MA 01776

In article <3238@sud509.ed.ray.com> rossperr@sud509.ed.ray.com (Fred Ross-Perry) writes:
> I have a mixed-interconnect VAX cluster with 8800, 785, 6240 and
> VAXStation 3100s.  The disks are connect to the star coupler with
> two HSC 70-s, all dual-ported.  VMS version is 5.3-1.  A few tape
> drives, too.
>
> I want to know if I can add another 785 to the star coupler, and a
> disk to the HSCs, and run ULTRIX on it?  If so exactly how do I
> go about it, making sure that the existing VMS cluster does not
> get confused.

This is an explictly unsupported configuration, however some sites have
reported that it works quite nicely, but also some reports of problems as
OS versions changed.  You need to make sure that VMS doesn't try to automount
the "ultrix" disks, Ultrix won't bother with the VMS disk unless you tell
it to.

You might want to slip a UDA50 into the 785 as a fallback in case you
have any problems with the shared cluster setup.

Also be warned that Ultrix has some ECO/revision level requirements on
the CI780 and possibly HSC70's.  You might want to check into this if
the hardware was previously running VMS...