[comp.sys.dec] Dec MOP boot protocol needed

shirriff@sprite.berkeley.edu (Ken Shirriff) (11/16/90)

Does anyone know the standard DEC bootstrap protocol MOP?  I'm looking for
sufficient information to write a mop boot server.  (Also, can I expect
mop to be faster than tftp?)

Ken Shirriff			shirriff@sprite.Berkeley.EDU

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) (11/16/90)

In article <8955@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, shirriff@sprite.berkeley.edu (Ken Shirriff) writes:
> Does anyone know the standard DEC bootstrap protocol MOP?  I'm looking for
> sufficient information to write a mop boot server.  (Also, can I expect
> mop to be faster than tftp?)

  Yes - it's documented in the DECnet Phase IV Maintenance Operations Func-
tional Description manual available from DEC. I'm not at my office right
now, so I don't have the part number.

  They're rather trivial to write, by the way - I have one that's something
like 1000 lines of BASIC on the PDP-11 under RSTS/E. There are a few gotchas
where the spec doesn't give enough detail - feel free to send me mail when
you get into the actual coding phase...

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381