[comp.sys.dec] VAX 750 and RP06s

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) (11/16/90)

In article <15696@venera.isi.edu>, britt@isi.edu (Benjamin Britt) writes:

> How does one connect a VAX 750 to one or more RP06s?  The Hardware
> handbook says to use an Massbuss adaptor (MBA).  Is this a board
> or set of boards?  Does it directly connect to an RP06?

  It's called an RH750 and consists of a single module that goes in the
750 backplane, 3 BC08R ribbon cables, and a bulkhead connector. You then
need to get a Massbus cable (25' lengths are common, 40's exists, and the
50' and 100' lengths are virtually impossible to find). Run the cable
from the CPU bulkhead into the drive (the Massbus adapter on the RP06 is
in the wart-box stuck on the left-hand side of the drive).

  RP06's are "rather" outdated - perhaps you could grab some RM05's (256 Mb)
instead. I don't think an RP07 (512 Mb) will run on a 750, but I might be
mistaken about that.

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381

britt@isi.edu (Benjamin Britt) (11/16/90)

How does one connect a VAX 750 to one or more RP06s?  The Hardware
handbook says to use an Massbuss adaptor (MBA).  Is this a board
or set of boards?  Does it directly connect to an RP06?

Thanks,

Ben

--
Benjamin Britt
USC/Information Sciences Institute

In article <15696@venera.isi.edu> britt@venera.isi.edu (Benjamin Britt) writes:

> How does one connect a VAX 750 to one or more RP06s?  The Hardware
> handbook says to use an Massbuss adaptor (MBA).  Is this a board
> or set of boards?  Does it directly connect to an RP06?

The massbus adapter is a signal board in the 750 and cable harness that goes
between pins on the backplane and a rectangular "massbus" connector on the
rear of the 750.

The RP06 drive also requires a device to interface the drive the massbus, this
is a separate cabient that stands next to each RP06.  The only massbus drive that
have integrated controllers are the RM80 and RP07.

You'll also need some massbus cables and a terminator.

Unless you're already stuck with the RP06's, it's better to look at something
like an Emulex SC750 or SC700X and Fujitsu Eagle drive.  These are easy to find
and cheap as used equpiment.  There are also infinite variations of unibus
SMD/SCSI controllers and drives, depending on how much "system integration"
you want to do yourself.

j_prigot@wrglex.uucp (11/16/90)

In article <15696@venera.isi.edu>, britt@isi.edu (Benjamin Britt) writes:
> How does one connect a VAX 750 to one or more RP06s?  The Hardware
> handbook says to use an Massbuss adaptor (MBA).  Is this a board
> or set of boards?  Does it directly connect to an RP06?

What you are looking for is the RH750. This is a set of 3 boards that install
in the 750's backplane. Make sure that your vendor includes the cables and
Massbus bulkhead connector.

--
Jonathan M. Prigot      j_prigot@wrglex or ...!drilex!wrglex!j_prigot

In article <1990Nov15.210952.766@spcvxb.spc.edu> terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) writes:

>   RP06's are "rather" outdated - perhaps you could grab some RM05's (256 Mb)
> instead. I don't think an RP07 (512 Mb) will run on a 750, but I might be
> mistaken about that.

Works fine if formatted in "interleave" mode.  Still, unless you have the
massbus stuff lying about, a third-party controller and standard SMD drive
make more sense, and the drive can be used for something else after the
demise of the 750...

cts@dragon.uucp (Charles T. Smith, Jr.) (11/18/90)

In article <1990Nov15.210952.766@spcvxb.spc.edu>, terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) writes:
> In article <15696@venera.isi.edu>, britt@isi.edu (Benjamin Britt) writes:
>
>   RP06's are "rather" outdated - perhaps you could grab some RM05's (256 Mb)
> instead. I don't think an RP07 (512 Mb) will run on a 750, but I might be
> mistaken about that.

The RP07 is supported on the 750 only as a data disk - not a system disk.
It will work only in the slow 1.2 MB/sec tranfer rate.

  Charles Smith
  ..gatech!emory!dragon!cts

j_prigot@wrglex.uucp (11/19/90)

In article <1990Nov15.210952.766@spcvxb.spc.edu>, terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) writes:

	[Stuff deleted]

> instead. I don't think an RP07 (512 Mb) will run on a 750, but I might be
> mistaken about that.

Don't tell that to my site running an RA81/RP07 combination.

--
Jonathan M. Prigot      j_prigot@wrglex or ...!drilex!wrglex!j_prigot

ac@mdavcr.UUCP (Alan Chan) (11/21/90)

     The RH750 massbus controller for the 750 is just one module sits on
the CPU backplane.  If I remember correctly it is L0010.  From the backplane
there are 3 ribbon cables going into the DCL (DRIVE CONTROL LOGIC) of the
RP06.  They plug into a module inside this unit.