[comp.sys.dec] rexd functionality for Ultrix 3.1 and PC-NFS?

wnp@iiasa.ac.at (Wolf PAUL ) (12/01/90)

As the subject says:

We are running a mixed network with several VAXen under Ultrix 3.1,
as well as SUN Sparcstations under SunOS 4.1, a few 386 PCs under ISC V.3.2.,
and plenty of MS-DOS PCs running PC-NFS.

SunOS and ISC System V come with a "remote execution daemon" and a
corresponding client program "on", which is a sort of intelligent rsh.

We would like to be able to have rexd running on the VAXen as well,
and use "on" from both the VAXen and the PC-NFS systems.

Anything out there that will let us do this?

Thanks!
--
W.N.Paul, Int. Institute f. Applied Systems Analysis, A-2361 Laxenburg--Austria
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465            INTERNET: wnp%iiasa@relay.eu.net

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (12/01/90)

I believe that the rex code in in the ONC sources, so
getting it on the VAXen is a matter between you and Digital.

On the PC-NFS clients, you need to think about the differences
between rsh and on/rex. The added value that on/rex brings is
that it arranges for your current directory context to get mounted
on the target system so that "cd foo; on bar bletch" will run the
command bletch on the system bar within the directory foo. This
is a decidely Unix-centric concept. The current context for a
DOS process is defined by a bunch of drives and devices, some local
and some remote. Replicating the context on another system is
pretty problematic. This is why in 5 years of PC-NFS we've never
bothered to implement on/rex; "rsh" seems to do the job just fine.

Geoff

-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --
   *** "Now is no time to speculate or hypothecate, but rather a time ***
   *** for action, or at least not a time to rule it out, though not  ***
   *** necessarily a time to rule it in, either." - George Bush       ***

jkp@cs.HUT.FI (Jyrki Kuoppala) (12/03/90)

In article <3489@jaytee.East.Sun.COM>, geoff@hinode (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) writes:
>On the PC-NFS clients, you need to think about the differences
>between rsh and on/rex. The added value that on/rex brings is
>that it arranges for your current directory context to get mounted
>on the target system so that "cd foo; on bar bletch" will run the
>command bletch on the system bar within the directory foo.

One added value is also that you don't have to worry about those
.rhosts files and passwords rshd for some reason wants, as rexd will
happily execute any correctly formed request for any user id != 0 from
any host on the same TCP/IP network, with no overhead of
authentication or silly things like the demanding of a password.

That's open networking, for sure.

//Jyrki