[comp.sys.dec] Zstem 240

shawn@ka.excelan.com (Shawn Nunley) (12/04/90)

I posted:

>From: shawn@ka.excelan.com (Shawn Nunley)
>Subject:DEC VT220 Emulation on PC's
>Date: 28 Nov 90 21:44:31 GMT

>Incase you missed my first post, Zstem 240 is the hottest VT emulator there is.
>Not only is the keyboard mapped perfectly, the characters on the screen look
>*exactly* like a VT220 terminal. The macro language is simple to use, but can
>handle tasks as complicated as you could possibly dream up. I actually have
>my VAX set up to remotely reprogram the macros that are located at the remote
>sites. The users *never* have to learn the macro language, and I have complete
>control over updating their local software.

I got this via e-mail:

Hi,
   My site uses ZSTEM240 too, and I agree with you about its excellence. I'm
interested in your comment about remote programming of macros. Could you
possibly post the source code/method of doing this? Everytime I want to change
the macros of other people's ZSTEM copies, I load the new version to a floppy
disk and give it to them with instructions on loading them. Not all of the
users are PC-literate, and it would be easier to do it myself from the VAX.

   We don't have any external network yet, so posting the information is easier
unless you can mail it to me at DECUSnet in Australia.

   Thanks for any help,

    Malcolm Matheson

So... Here is how it can be done.

First, you modify the user's login.com so it will print a code that will
start any one of the softkeys. I use "ESC [ 00t" which causes Zstem to
execute the softkey programmed for Alt-0.

Now, the user's copy of Zstem must have Alt-0 (in this case) programmed to
do a few things. First it must initiate a download (I use Kermit) of a softkey
definition file that I have placed in their login directory (or anywhere else
they have priv's to). Then the softkey loads the file and saves the new program.

This is simple to do if you have the ability to transfer a softkey definition
file from your PC to your VAX. (You could always dial in and upload the file).

If this is unclear, (I'm not a techinical writer) I would be happy to mail
a copy of the softkey definition to interested people. Just ask...

Shawn

| Internet: shawn@ka.novell.com             I'm in the high fidelity,     |
| UUCP: {ames,sun,apple,mtxinu,cae780,sco}  first class travelling set    |
|          !novell!shawn                    and I think I need a Lear Jet |
| Shawn Nunley    Tel: (408) 473-8630                                     |