[comp.sys.dec] Summary: preventing dec3100 single user booting

neruda@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Steve Neruda) (11/28/90)

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about preventing single user
  mode booting in order to protect root.  There were basically three solutions:

  1)  If you have source you could modifiy init to ask for a passwd
  	before going into single user mode.

  2) Dec will have new ROMs available (maybe already does).  Is due out Spring/
  	Summer 91 for the 2100, 3100, and 5000.

  3) Put some sort of passwd check in roots .profile file that will not allow
	itself to exit unless the root passwd (or a special passwd is typed in.
	The complexity for implementing this ranged from placing

		exec echo "Ultrix rules!"

	into roots .profile to C programs that are run from .profile.
	There were also several shell script implementations of this.

The solutions I liked best we C programs that were run from .profile since
  they don't require alot of work, they can use the regular root passwd
  (though one even contained a second passwd if root was scrogged), they
  seemed pretty rugged (I couldn't get them to fail).

Most of these solutions are pretty short so if people are interested I'll post
  a couple of them to an appropriate news group (comp.sources?).

				thanks again,

				steve neruda (neruda@geo2s.mps.ohio-state.edu

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (11/29/90)

neruda@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Steve Neruda) writes:

>Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about preventing single user
>  mode booting in order to protect root.  There were basically three solutions:

	[ two software solutions, one hardware solution (involving anticipated
	ROM upgrade) offered ]

	Well, how about pushing vendors to design hardware interlocks that
	prevent system boots, or disable terminal or keyboard response?
	Vendors installing identical locks on all systems such that anyone's
	keys work on anyone else' system (don't laugh... some do it!) would
	be subject to public shaming.

mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) (11/30/90)

In article <161@raysnec.UUCP> shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:

>	Well, how about pushing vendors to design hardware interlocks that
>	prevent system boots, or disable terminal or keyboard response?

	What, like the "locks" on IBM PC/ATs ? The ones that can be
disabled instantly by unplugging a wire on the motherboard ?

>	Vendors installing identical locks on all systems such that anyone's
>	keys work on anyone else' system (don't laugh... some do it!) would
>	be subject to public shaming.

	I suppose you'd want the locks to somehow secure the cabinet as
well, to prevent jumpering the lock-switch. And maybe then we'd need to
add locking SCSI connectors, to prevent people from getting "root" by
booting off of a different system disk. We need a locking cover on the
tape drive, too, and so on, and so forth...

	Maybe a vendor who sells dup keys to their CPU (like IBM did)
would have cause to be ashamed - but a user who is naive enough to
place a great deal of trust in it should be ashamed, too. It is a
placebo and they fell for it.

	Even with shell-scripts protecting singleuser boots, you still
have to guard against spies who carry a spare SCSI shoebox around, and
daisy-chain the disk onto your system, boot off it, mount root, and
do Evil Things.

	The only system I ever saw that came close to solving these
issues was a package for PCs that encrypted the FAT and made the disk
unavailable until you cleared it with a password. Of course, when our
user (who had insisted this was necessary) finally lost the password,
I was able to grub around the disk with a disk-dumper and get the
data back anyhow. You'd have to just encrypt *everything* on the disk,
including the buffers in the bufcache, I suppose. :) - but I digress...

mjr.
--
	If your windowing system is placing undue demands on your hardware
and operating system, don't ask yourself what can be done to improve the

dan@gacvx2.gac.edu (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.221947.21056@decuac.dec.com>, mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
> In article <161@raysnec.UUCP> shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:
>>
>>	Well, how about pushing vendors to design hardware interlocks that
>>	prevent system boots, or disable terminal or keyboard response?
>
> 	What, like the "locks" on IBM PC/ATs ? The ones that can be
> disabled instantly by unplugging a wire on the motherboard ?

You are correct, any system devised my man can, in time, be undone by man.
Computers just make it take less time.  A single user boot is a quick,
undetectable, way to gain priviledged access to a computer system.  Just
because it is probably not possible to devise a system that would prevent
any unauthorized access, does not mean it should be left wide open.  I do
expect a system vendor to make it difficult to get my data, not impossible.
More than once I have been glad for back doors into the computers I manage.
It should take more than one cracker telling another "Just type 'b -s' and the
system is yours..."  In my environment (a college) absolute data security is
not an issue, however confidentiality of data, and damage to data due to
unathorized/possibily malicious access is.  Trying running a lab of Macintosh
or PC's, with hard disks, with novice users, for a week, without a tape
backup and you will know what I mean.  Workstations are moving out of the power
users office and into the computer lab!

--
Dan Boehlke                    Internet:  dan@gac.edu
Campus Network Manager         BITNET:    dan@gacvax1.bitnet

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (12/02/90)

On 27 Nov 90 21:16:21 GMT, neruda@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Steve Neruda) said:

neruda> Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about preventing
neruda> single user mode booting in order to protect root.  There were
neruda> basically three solutions:

The best solution is of course to protect the network from any sysadmin
who thinks that this is anything else than a security hazard (again: the
greatest security hazard is a false sense of security). Or maybe to send
him/her to a course on basic principles of security. Or maybe to induce
him/her to read something about project Athena (or Andrew) and their
solutions -- effective (if not perfect) solutions, instead of jokes, I
mean -- to the problem.

Maybe there should be a FAQ posting in this newgroup and this should be
part of it -- the issue gets raised again and again always in the same
depressing way. It is understandable that hard pressured syadmins have
no time for hard thinking and reach for the quick and dangerous fix...

Or maybe I should paraphrase the nice Feynman quote that somebody uses as
their signature line:

"For a successful security, reality must take precedence over public
 relations, for hackers cannot be fooled."

--
Piercarlo Grandi                   | ARPA: pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) (12/06/90)

While I was installing Ultrix 4.1 on our DEDsystem 3100 I came across the
intructions for doing this.  It requires a little hacking in the rc.

Just thought I'd mention this.

---
Michael R. Almond (Georgia Tech Alumnus)           mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				        emory!stiatl!srchtec!mra
Atlanta, Georgia                                         (404) 441-1457 (office)
[search]: Systems Engineering Approaches to Research and Development