[comp.sys.dec] UNIX for PDP-11

rickr@virtech.uucp (Rick Rodman) (08/23/90)

As for Ultrix being discontinued because the PDP-11 is an "old machine":

My PDP-11/73 is about 3 years old.  It is, in fact, the newest computer
I own.  DEC just introduced two new models, the 11/93 and 11/94.  So, the
discontinuation of Unix cannot be justified by oldness of model.

No, IMHO the discontinuation of Ultrix was because a PDP-11 with Ultrix
was not competitive price/performance with other Unix boxes.  One must
always remember that Open Systems means that you can lose business to
competitors.

While, of course, when customers are locked in to RSX or RT-11, they
can't get away.

Ken has a good point about MicroVAX IIs being cheap (so to speak), and my
latest idea is to get a bare-bones MicroVAX and move the 11/73's
peripherals over to it, then sell the remainder to a spare parts dealer.

I share Ted Nelson's sadness about the DEC that was - and the DEC that is
today.  Alas.
--

Rick Rodman      uunet!virtech!rickr

rcook@pk705vma.iinus1.ibm.com ("Russ Cook") (12/07/90)

Can someone point to where I might obtain a version of UNIX or a UNIX
derivative for a PDP-11?

thanks,
Russ Cook
rcook@pk705vma.iinus1.ibm.com

mark@photon.mit.edu (Mark Spector) (12/08/90)

In article <9012071929.AA00491@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> rcook@pk705vma.iinus1.ibm.com ("Russ Cook") writes:
>Can someone point to where I might obtain a version of UNIX or a UNIX
>derivative for a PDP-11?
>
>thanks,
>Russ Cook
>rcook@pk705vma.iinus1.ibm.com

We have two versions of UNIX running on PDP 11/73's in my lab.

The first is UNIX 2.10BSD, which is real BSD UNIX, basically the same
as 4.3BSD.  It is available from USENIX in Berkeley, (415) 528-8649.
It only cost us $200 for the media, a TS-11 tape, but we had to prove
that we already had a site license with ATT for UNIX.  It only comes
with installation instructions.  You have to purchase the 4.3BSD documentation
seperately if you want it.  It seems to run fairly well except the network
stuff seems a little slow.  I don't really use the network stuff.

THe second is VENIX (Release D I think), which is a clone.  It is
available from VenturCom in Cambridge, MA, (617) 661-1230.  I am
pretty sure they don't support it anymore but they still may sell it.
We have been using it for quite a while (> 7 years) and it seems to
work pretty well.  It doesn't include any network stuff, but does
support standard peripherals.  We have done alot of patching to the
kernal over the years, so if you get it and need some help drop me
a note.

By the way, UNIX 2.10BSD comes with the complete source code for
UNIX, which I have found great to have access to although it is
70 Mb worth of stuff.

Hope this helps.

		Mark
Mark S. Spector            Internet  : mark@photon.mit.edu
M.I.T.  Room 13-2025       BITNET    : mark%photon.mit.edu@MITVMA
Cambridge, MA  02139       Telephone : (617)253-6803

geremin@decus.com.au (12/09/90)

In article <9012071929.AA00491@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, rcook@pk705vma.iinus1.ibm.com ("Russ Cook") writes:
> Can someone point to where I might obtain a version of UNIX or a UNIX
> derivative for a PDP-11?
>
> thanks,
> Russ Cook
> rcook@pk705vma.iinus1.ibm.com
--
What do you mean `a UNIX derivative for a PDP-11' -- all UNIX
versions are derivated FROM the PDP-11 version -- actually the

1. Try AT&T - they started it all.
2. Try ULTRIX-11 from Digital - they always change the name or do
 something to confuse the user. Support may be hard to get today.
3. You could try your local DECUS office - there are some ULTRIX
 utilities in the DECUS Library but as yet Digital has not donated
 ULTRIX-11 as far as I know - maybe we should encourage them.

Regards, John G.
v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v
  J. Geremin,    geremin%decus.com.au@munnari.oz.au (Internet)
   RSTS SIG,      PSI%(0)505224122018::Geremin  (VAX/PSImail)
 DECUS South Pacific Chapter.     Tel. +61 2 764 4855  ans M/C
c/-  MEGATRONICS, p.o.box S-5, Homebush South, 2140. Australia.