[comp.sys.dec] VT1000

wernick@cpoint (Rich Wernick) (12/11/90)

I am currently operating a VT1000 terminal with the ROM update kit
provided by DEC. Just recently the monitor for the system which is DEC
product number VR262 was smashed at a computer show. DEC informed me
that they will not replace the picture tube and suggested that we purchase
a new one. Several third party services explained to me that they will
replace a picture tube, but cannot obtain a the correct part for a VR262.
What our comapny did have available is a couple of VR260 monitors that where
not being used. The only problem now is that the VT1000 is not 100%
compatable with the VR260. The picture is a little warped and slightly
twisted. Does anybody know where a cheap picture tube for a VR262 can be
obtained? Is there an adjustment that can be made to the system which will
straighten out the picture? Any response will be greatly appreciated

Rich Wernick
wernick@venus.clearpoint.com

nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) (12/11/90)

> not being used. The only problem now is that the VT1000 is not 100%
> compatable with the VR260. The picture is a little warped and slightly
> twisted. Does anybody know where a cheap picture tube for a VR262 can be

All 5 of our VR262 monitors show "warped and slightly twisted"
pictures.  We convinced DEC to try replacing one of them (twice) to no
avail.  If anyone knows how to get these things looking good on *any*
setup (VS3100, VT1000), please let us sufferers know!  (Yes, we've
removed them from any nearby RF sources and placed aluminum/copper
shielding with no appreciable effect).

Charles Allen			Internet: cca@physics.purdue.edu
Department of Physics			  nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu
Purdue University		HEPnet:   purdnu::allen, fnal::cca
West Lafayette, IN  47907	talknet:  317/494-9776

jgeld@caen.engin.umich.edu (Jon Geld) (12/12/90)

In article <6362@mace.cc.purdue.edu> nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) writes:

>All 5 of our VR262 monitors show "warped and slightly twisted"
>pictures.  We convinced DEC to try replacing one of them (twice) to no
>avail.  If anyone knows how to get these things looking good on *any*
>setup (VS3100, VT1000), please let us sufferers know!  (Yes, we've
>removed them from any nearby RF sources and placed aluminum/copper
>shielding with no appreciable effect).

When we have had this problem with our VR260's it could be cleared up
(to some degree) by adjusting the pots on the Deflection module.
Access could be gained by taking the cover off the monitor (four hex
screws in the back) and then sticking a long thin screwdriver down the
appropriate holes along the top of the monitor (they are labeled).
I've got to believe that something along these lines has been provided
on the VR262, although a quick look through the plastic case on mine
shows that the access holes are not in the same place.  Using this
method we've been able to reduce the distortion on the tubes, although
it never goes away completely.  I'm surprised your DEC rep didn't do
this before replacing the monitor.

Jon Geld				| geld@mail.physics.lsa.umich.edu
Sys Mgr, Physics			! MICH::GELD
University of Michigan			| geld@umiphys.bitnet