[net.news.group] Keep an unmoderated sources group, mod groups don't work yet.

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (02/16/86)

I have been archiving net.sources for about 4 years now, ever since Sun
came up on the Usenet.  I've been archiving mod.sources since *it* arrived,
too.  It takes about half an Eagle and requires constant pruning.

It's true that there is a lot of trash in net.sources.  I wish that
trash would go away.  I'm not sure of the best way to send it away
but I *am* sure that throwing away net.sources in favor of mod.sources
is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I've never tried to post to mod.sources so I don't know if it will
work.  I *did* just try to post to mod.std.unix (while running a tail
-f on the news log, the sendmail log, and the uucp log in another
window) and it definitely did *not* get sent anywhere.  I've looked at
my moderators file and it looks OK.  I'm running 2.10.3 news
(4.3bsd-beta) and using vnews, not rn or Pnews.  I believe my head is
screwed on straight, but it really is not working.

Mod groups are a good idea for some things.  Mod.sources is even one
of those things.  BUT MOD GROUPS DON'T WORK YET!

When I have working PD software to post (and it's coming along...)
I will certainly try to post it to mod.sources.  BUT...if that fails,
I will post it to net.sources.  If you don't want my software, go ahead,
make my day, delete net.sources.

I'd rather clean out 10 trash messages and get one PD source than
miss the sources that the author couldn't figure out how to post.
--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   jgilmore@lll-crg.arpa

jsq@im4u.UUCP (John Quarterman) (02/19/86)

In article <531@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>Mod groups are a good idea for some things.  Mod.sources is even one
>of those things.  BUT MOD GROUPS DON'T WORK YET!

You have a problem with vnews on your host, so you conclude the above.
Seems like quite a leap to me.  You mentioned mod.std.unix:  I'm the
moderator, and I get submissions all the time which were obviously
posted by the user and mailed by the news software, not mailed manually.
--
John Quarterman, UUCP:  {gatech,harvard,ihnp4,pyramid,seismo}!ut-sally!im4u!jsq
ARPA Internet and CSNET:  jsq@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU, jsq@sally.UTEXAS.EDU