[comp.sys.dec] Vax750 PROBLEMS!!

jar@konkord.uucp (John Roberts) (12/19/90)

	Here's one for the books...

	We've got a Vax750 that when powered up doesn't
	output ANYTHING to the console port. Ever board
	in the 750 was replaced with another set
	and the problem is the same.

	Problem with the console port you say? Well, the
	console on the 750 is strapped right to the back
	of the backplan of the 750. And get this, the pins
	on the console port are:

		Pins 1,2,3, AND 24??????

	What is DEC doing with pin 24??

	We've got a TrueBlue digital vt100 on the console,
	tried every baud rate there is and still nothing.

	I've check all the power points coming from the power
	supply, everything looks ok.

	Something strange, I was told that the FIRST thing the
	750 does when powered on (along with printing >>>) is to
	try to boot off the TU58 if there is a tape in. Well,
	the TU58 tape drive is as dead as the console.

	ANY HELP would be great! I've been working on this
	problem for 2 weeks now, and NOTHING!!! ARG!!!

		thanks!

--
John A. Roberts				(508)460-4646 X197
Concord Communications, Inc.			uunet!konkord!jar

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec18.170238.6551@uunet!konkord>, jar@konkord.uucp (John Roberts) writes:
> 	ANY HELP would be great! I've been working on this
> 	problem for 2 weeks now, and NOTHING!!! ARG!!!

  If you inherited this VAX from somewhere where it was on a DEC Field Service
contract, FS has removed the Remote Diagnostic Module from slot 6 (I think),
leaving the TU58 and the console disconnected. Look at the cover on the back-
plane - it should have a sticker showing where to move the connectors to in
order to work w/o the RDM installed. It also shows the baud rate select jum-
pers for the console port.

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381

j_prigot@wrglex.uucp (12/26/90)

In article <1990Dec19.171315.903@spcvxb.spc.edu>, terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) writes:
> In article <1990Dec18.170238.6551@uunet!konkord>, jar@konkord.uucp (John Roberts) writes:
>> 	ANY HELP would be great! I've been working on this
>> 	problem for 2 weeks now, and NOTHING!!! ARG!!!
>
>   If you inherited this VAX from somewhere where it was on a DEC Field Service
> contract, FS has removed the Remote Diagnostic Module from slot 6 (I think),
> leaving the TU58 and the console disconnected. Look at the cover on the back-
> plane - it should have a sticker showing where to move the connectors to in
> order to work w/o the RDM installed. It also shows the baud rate select jum-
> pers for the console port.

And in case it doesn't, my "VAX Maintenance Handbook (VAX-11/750)" says to
move the following cables from the right side of slot 6 to the left side: Front
panel cable (row A), TU58 cable (row B), console cable (row C).

--
Jonathan M. Prigot      j_prigot@wrglex or ...!drilex!wrglex!j_prigot