[comp.sys.dec] Upgrading DEC3100 software -- Beginner question?

ramesh@cbnewsl.att.com (nallepilli.s.ramesh) (12/31/90)

Hi! I have a very basic question on upgrading system SW on DEC3100.
We periodically get upgrades from DEC, and I am not sure what the best
way to upgrade is?  If I go through the installation procedure in
the upgrade documents, I have to reeconfigure and reisnatll all the
system specific files that need to be modified for a specific system
(ex; /etc/passwd /etc/hosts UUCP files, crontab etc.)  This is painful
and takes a long time, and sometimes one forgets some files that have been
modified, in the previous release.

Is there a way to install the new subsets without thrashing user modified
setup files?

On a similar note I have a non DEC disk that is used for /usr . Unfortunately
I am unable to specify it in the installation procedure, since the
system doesn't recognise it. (It is a wren VI)  This means I have to first
load the SW to a DEC disk and then copy the whole /usr tree to the WRENVI.

Is there a way out??

Desperate.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
N. Ramesh (att!harpo!ramesh)
Subject: Upgrading DEC3100 software -- Beginner question?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (01/02/91)

In article <1990Dec31.151103.2735@cbnewsl.att.com>, ramesh@cbnewsl.att.com (nallepilli.s.ramesh) writes:
> [ A commentary on some reinstallations vs. upgrades. ]
>
> Is there a way to install the new subsets without thrashing user modified
> setup files?

	It depends on the versions.  Hopefully the following will
	be a list of the variations:

		V3.0 to V3.1 - This was distributed as a real upgrade.

		V3.x to V4.0 - This is a full reinstallation.  Nothing
		to do, but remember all the files you've changed and
		restore them.

		V3.x to V4.1 - Reinstallation.

		V4.0 to V4.1 - At the moment V4.1 is a complete installation.
		Sometime soon, the V4.1 upgrade will be available.

	The way an upgrade is done is to delete everything in the
	old subset, then install the new subset.  In some cases we
	just overwrite the old pieces of the subset.  The problem
	with deleting all the old stuff is that when the BASE subset
	goes, many of the programs needed by the upgrade also go and
	the upgrade falls over on it's face.

> On a similar note I have a non DEC disk that is used for /usr . Unfortunately
> I am unable to specify it in the installation procedure, since the
> system doesn't recognise it. (It is a wren VI)  This means I have to first
> load the SW to a DEC disk and then copy the whole /usr tree to the WRENVI.
>
> Is there a way out??

	None that I know of, though you might try looking at the
	scripts left around by the installation procedure to see
	you they can be hacked.  Such hacking is of course UNSUPPORTED
	and if you have any problems because of it, you're on your
	own.

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.enet.dec.com

mike@denali.uss.tek.com (Michael Ewan) (01/03/91)

In article <1990Dec31.151103.2735@cbnewsl.att.com> ramesh@cbnewsl.att.com (nallepilli.s.ramesh) writes:

>On a similar note I have a non DEC disk that is used for /usr . Unfortunately
>I am unable to specify it in the installation procedure, since the
>system doesn't recognise it. (It is a wren VI)  This means I have to first
>load the SW to a DEC disk and then copy the whole /usr tree to the WRENVI.

The way I did it was as follows:
Let the install script install the root partition.
Interupt the script.
Newfs the /usr partition manually.
Install the UxxBASE400 subset.
Build a new kernal that understands the non-DEC disk.
Reboot.
Move the /usr partition to the non-DEC disk.
Hack the install script(s) to install the rest of the system.
  These are in /install.tmp.  Look at /.profile to see how they
  get called.

It's somewhat tedious but can be done.  Have fun.

--
 Michael Ewan    (503)627-6468      Internet:  mike@raven.USS.TEK.COM
 Unix Systems Support                   UUCP:  ...!tektronix!puffin!raven!mike