[comp.sys.dec] DECnet <-> Unix mail exchange?

paolo@sixcom.sixcom.it (Paolo Crini) (01/09/91)

Does anyone have suggestions on how to interchange mail between
a generic Unix system and DECnet?

I seek a solution requiring the least effort at the DECnet side,
since I'm not an expert in DECnet or VMS systems at all.
Is it possible to connect the systems via a serial interface (using
uucp or whatever)?

Please forgive me if this question has been already asked!

Many thanks in advance,

      Paolo.
--
 * Paolo Crini   | INTERNET: paolo@sixcom.it OBSOLETE: paolo@sixcom.UUCP *
 | Sixcom S.p.A. | UUCP:     {foo,bar,uunet}!mcsun!sixcom!paolo          |

felton@eng3.UUCP (Ed Felton) (01/10/91)

}
}  I seek a solution requiring the least effort at the DECnet side,
}  since I'm not an expert in DECnet or VMS systems at all.
}  Is it possible to connect the systems via a serial interface (using
}  uucp or whatever)?

Paolo:

 Call DECUS, (don't have their number off-hand), they have a PD uucp package
for VAX/VMS, on one of their VS0092/VS0093 Symposium Tapes. I believe these
two tapes are from the Tools and Languages SIG.  I am currently helping a
friend do the same with his companies VAX, to connect to the UseNet. The
tape(s) should be about $150 (US) each.

Good Luck.
--
Ed Felton
felton@eng3.sci.com

tihor@acf3.NYU.EDU (Stephen Tihor) (01/11/91)

Actually VS is VAX Systems but it hardly matters since the people
who do the work are the same.  The kit is also FTP-able from the
SIG tape site or acfcluster.nyu.edu if you are on high speed networks
all the way so that it becomes a feasible operation.

barrett@Daisy.EE.UND.AC.ZA (Alan P. Barrett) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan9.113517.4544@sixcom.sixcom.it>,
paolo@sixcom.it (Paolo Crini) writes:
> Does anyone have suggestions on how to interchange mail between a
> generic Unix system and DECnet?
>
> I seek a solution requiring the least effort at the DECnet side, since
> I'm not an expert in DECnet or VMS systems at all.  Is it possible to
> connect the systems via a serial interface (using uucp or whatever)?

We run the PMDF mailer on a VMS system here, and use the Phonenet
protocol to transfer mail between that and a Unix system.  It works very
well.

Phonenet support is built into PMDF.  MMDF or a small package called
cmdf (from comp.sources.unix, I think) can provide the Unix end of the
link; I use a locally modified version of cmdf (one day I hope to get
around to mailing all the bug fixes to the original authors).

PMDF is not free.  Write to Innosoft International Inc.
<iii@ymir.calremont.edu> for details.

--apb
Alan Barrett, Dept. of Electronic Eng., Univ. of Natal, Durban, South Africa
Internet: barrett@ee.und.ac.za (or %ee.und.ac.za@saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu)
UUCP: m2xenix!quagga!undeed!barrett    PSI-Mail: PSI%(6550)13601353::BARRETT