[comp.sys.dec] dxterm

martin@iastate.edu (Calsyn Martin Robert) (01/17/91)

In article <21124@netcom.UUCP> fisk@netcom.UUCP (Benjamin Fisk) writes:

>While using ULTRIX 4.1, I set the application keypadd on.
>The keypadd gets set off automatically by various applications,
>including "vi".
>Is there some preferred termcap entry that I should use?
>Is this a bug?

I just finished wrestling with this one under ULX 4.1.  vi does lots of
nasty stuff and the best way to insure complete reinitialization of the
curses environment is with this sort of constuct:

  endwin();
  run("/usr/ucb/vi",pathname,NULL);
  wrefresh(titlescreen);

...where run() is a vfork-and-exec var-arg function and titlescreen is the
screen I need to refresh after vi mucks things up.  The wrefresh call
notices that endwin() has been called and reinitializes the curses
environment including the tty and term setups.  Note that I have only
used this with cursesX.  I use the same construct for calling emacs and
the paginators 'more' and 'less'.

Martin R. Calsyn                                   martin@iastate.edu
Project Vincent Systems Support                    gg.mrc@isumvs.bitnet
Iowa State University Computation Center           voice: (515) 294-9889
Ames, Iowa 50011                                   fax:   (515) 294-1717