[comp.sys.dec] HP-Laserjet III filter for Ultrix 4.1 needed

werner@forst.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Werner Willems) (01/17/91)

Hello !
We have problems with our Laserwriter HP-Laserjet III. Does anybody
have experience with filters for these Laserjet? It would be nice, if
anybody could help me.
Bye Werner

Mail Address: Werner Willems (ERCOFTAC Pilot-Center)
              CI010WI@DACTH11

clayc@ssds.com (Clay Calhoun (Western)) (01/20/91)

wright@tacvax.mdcbbs.com (01/23/91)

In article <186@ssds.com>, clayc@ssds.com (Clay Calhoun (Western)) writes:
> In article <werner.664117894@forst>, werner@forst.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Werner Whelms) writes:
>> Hello !
>> We have problems with our Laserwriter HP-Laserjet III. Does anybody
>> have experience with filters for these Laserjet? It would be nice, if
>> anybody could help me.
>> Bye Werner
>>
>> Mail Address: Werner Whelms (ERCOFTAC Pilot-Center)
>>               CI010WI@DACTH11

Here are the steps I used to setup an HP Laserjet for my system. The following
shows how to set it up on a LAT, although the printcap entry is at the end.

     1	Change directory to /dev

		cd /dev

     2	Look for any ttys setup for LAT usage

		file tty* | grep LAT

     3	Edit the ttys file to include LAT operation, supplied ttys file
	does not include LAT ports

		vi /etc/ttys

        LAT ttys should look like this:

		tty02 "/etc/getty std.9600 vt100 on secure modem # LAT tty

	Set up a tty line for printer access

        	tty17 "/etc/getty std.9600 vt100 off secure modem # LAT tty

     4	Kill the old ttys and restart the new ttys

		kill -1 1

     5	Check to see if the LAT process is ACTIVE or INACTIVE

		lcp -d

     6	Make the LAT process ACTIVE

		lcp -s

     7	Recheck the LAT process to see that it is ACTIVE

		lcp -d

     8	Manually start the LAT printer port

		lcp -h /dev/tty17:LAT_NAME:PORT_#

     9	Check to see if the LAT printer port is set right

		lcp -p /dev/tty17

    10	Use the lprsetup utility to set up the printcap file

		lprsetup

    11	Terminate all active printer daemons and disable printing

		lpc abort all

    12	Remove all files beginning with "cf", "tf", or "df" from the
	print queues

		lpc clean all

    13	Look for the old lpd process

		ps ax | grep lpd

    14	Kill the lpd process "/usr/lib/lpd"

		kill -9 112

    15	Start the new lpd process including the new print queue

		/usr/lib/lpd &

    16	Enable printing and start a spooling daemon for the listed printers

		lpc start all

    17	Display the status of daemons and queues

		lpc stat all

    18	Print a test file, in this case the printcap file

		lpr -P "printer_name" printcap

    19  Edit the rc.local file, be sure the entry appears after the
        "local daemons section.

	[ -f /etc/lcp ] && {
		/etc/lcp -s -h /dev/tty17:LAT_NAME:PORT_# >/dev/console
	}

	This will cause the daemons to be activated at the next reboot.

	This is a copy of the printcap file after lprsetup added the
	second printer (the names lp0 and lp1 have been switched, allowing
	the added printer to be the default printer).

	# @(#)printcap	4.1	(ULTRIX)	11/23/87
	lp1|1|local line printer:\
		:lp=/dev/lp1:\
		:of=/usr/lib/lpdfilters/lpf:\
		:sd=/usr/spool/lpd:\
		:lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs:
	lp0|lp|0|notes$eng:\
		:af=/usr/adm/lp1acct:\
		:br#4800:\
		:fc#0177777:\
		:fs#03:\
		:if=/usr/lib/lpdfilters/ln03of:\
		:lf=/usr/adm/lp1err:\
		:lp=/dev/tty15:\
		:mx#0:\
		:of=/usr/lib/lpdfilters/ln03of:\
		:pl#66:\
		:pw#80:\
		:rw:\
		:sd=/usr/spool/lpd1:\
		:xc#0177777:\
		:xf=/usr/lib/lpdfilters/xf:\
		:xs#044000:

--

    |	Dave Wright		 |	Phone:	(714) 952-6320             |