[comp.sys.dec] Low level format for RD54

grisanti@plains.NoDak.edu (Ames Grisanti) (02/04/91)

Hello,

	Does anyone know where to get a utility for doing low level
formatting on an RD54 disk drive?  I don't have a service
contract so it would be costly for me to get the unit formatted.
Any suggestions?

Ames Grisanti

University of North Dakota
Energy and Environmental Research Center
[grisanti@plains.NoDak.edu      --         Internet]
[grisanti@plains or ndsuvax     --         Bitnet  ]
[uunet!plains!grisanti          --         UUCP    ]

ins_wayne@actew.oz.au (Wayne Myles) (02/07/91)

In article <7935@plains.NoDak.edu>, grisanti@plains.NoDak.edu (Ames Grisanti) writes:
> Hello,
>
> 	Does anyone know where to get a utility for doing low level
> formatting on an RD54 disk drive?  I don't have a service
> contract so it would be costly for me to get the unit formatted.
> Any suggestions?

  Some uVAXen have built-in ROM diagnostics to do what you want;
  for instance, I recently installed a drive in this VS2000, using

    >>> TEST 70

  (after halting the CPU.)

  If it's a uVAX II you're dealing with, you will probably need
  the diag tape, or to "accidentally" install the drive in a
  VS2000 for about 40 minutes :-)

--
Wayne Myles             Email: ins_wayne@actew.oz.au, wsm@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au
System Manager,	        Snail: GPO Box 366, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia.