[comp.sys.dec] Dvorak keyboard mapping with VMS

e_sx93@campus.swarthmore.edu (02/07/91)

I type using the Dvorak keyboard arrangement, and have been able to find
software which re-maps the keyboard for me on every computer system that I have
used except for our school's Vax (which runs VMS).  Can anyone point me to some
code which I might execute with my login.com file?  Any other suggested
solutions (besides remotely logging in through a Mac)?  Thanks in advance for
any assistance.

					Eli Spevak
					e_sx93@campus.swarthmore.edu

j_prigot@wrglex.uucp (02/11/91)

In article <VXQX0WY@cs.swarthmore.edu>, e_sx93@campus.swarthmore.edu writes:
> I type using the Dvorak keyboard arrangement, and have been able to find
> software which re-maps the keyboard for me on every computer system that I have
> used except for our school's Vax (which runs VMS).  Can anyone point me to some
> code which I might execute with my login.com file?  Any other suggested
> solutions (besides remotely logging in through a Mac)?  Thanks in advance for
> any assistance.

I am assuming that you are logging onto the VAX via a terminal (VTxxx) of some
sort. It is the terminal that is reading your keystrokes and sending the
appropriate character to the VAX. From what I have seen with one of the people
here, the only way you can set up the terminal with a Dvorak keyboard is to
have someone blow another ROM for your keyboard. (He knew someone at DEC who
was also a Dvorak user, and so was able to get a non-standard keyboard.) I am
not sure whether the ROM is part of a one chip keyboard controller or whether
it is separate.

The only other possibility that I can think of is for someone to write a piece
of code that could intercept the characters from the terminal and remap them
to their equivalent Dvorak keyboard position.

--
Jonathan M. Prigot      j_prigot@wrglex or ...!drilex!wrglex!j_prigot