[comp.sys.dec] VAXStation 2000 --> X Terminal

jfp@INEL.GOV (Jeff Pack) (02/12/91)

Has anyone reconfigured a VAXStation 2000 to be strictly an X Terminal?
I have seen people doing similar things to Sun 3/50's and assorted
boat anchors.....BTW, I am not responsible for the disclaimer that
follows!
Jeff Pack                         UUCP:  ...!uunet!inel.gov!jfp
Idaho National Engineering Lab    Internet:  jfp@inel.gov
P. O. Box 1625 M.S. 2603          Phone:  (208) 526-0007
Idaho Falls, ID 83415             FAX:  (208) 526-9936
========== long legal disclaimer follows, press n to skip ===========

Neither the United States Government or the Idaho National Engineering
Laboratory or any of their employees, makes any warranty, whatsoever,
implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility regarding any
information, disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe
privately owned rights.  No specific reference constitutes or implies
endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the United States
Government or the Idaho National Engineering Laboratory.  The views and
opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of the
United States Government or the Idaho National Engineering Laboratory,
and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

karsten@tfl.dk (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb11.200242.29515@inel.gov>, jfp@INEL.GOV (Jeff Pack) writes:
> Has anyone reconfigured a VAXStation 2000 to be strictly an X Terminal?
> I have seen people doing similar things to Sun 3/50's and assorted
> boat anchors.....BTW, I am not responsible for the disclaimer that
> follows!
> --
DEC has.  You can buy the software from DEC.  I think you can use the
software used in the VT1300 on a VAXstation 2000 too.  If I am wrong
on that point, then DEC has a program called ASSITS or was it ASSET?,
under which they sell software they have developed for one particular
customer.  This should turn your VAXstation 2000 into an X-terminal
using LAT as transport protocol.

Karsten Nyblad
TFL, A Danish Telecommunication Research Laboratory
E-mail: karsten@tfl.dk

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb12.113004.141@tfl.dk> karsten@tfl.dk writes:
>In article <1991Feb11.200242.29515@inel.gov>, jfp@INEL.GOV (Jeff Pack) writes:
>> Has anyone reconfigured a VAXStation 2000 to be strictly an X Terminal?
>> I have seen people doing similar things to Sun 3/50's and assorted
>> boat anchors.....BTW, I am not responsible for the disclaimer that
>> follows!
>> --
>DEC has.  You can buy the software from DEC.  I think you can use the

   Asking my dec sales the same question, I was refered to DECUS.  They said
DEC used to sell it, but has given it away.....
   (Now about the truth of that,.....)
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (02/14/91)

>>In article <1991Feb11.200242.29515@inel.gov>, jfp@INEL.GOV (Jeff Pack) writes:
>>> Has anyone reconfigured a VAXStation 2000 to be strictly an X Terminal?
>>> I have seen people doing similar things to Sun 3/50's and assorted
>>> boat anchors....

	I did this with all our VS2000's.  I compiled X11R4 on our VAX 8530,
which is binary-compatible with the VS2000's.  First, I put the entire X11R4
binary hierarchy into a big tar file, which is kept on the VAX.  Then I
wiped the VS2000 disks clean and used setld/ris to install a minimal OS on
the disks.  Finally, I used rsh and tar to transfer the X binaries to
the VS2000's.  It is a bit of a hassle, but it works.
	(I tried using setld/ris to download X11R4 to the VS2000's, but
ran into problems.  This is Ultrix 2.0, which was probably the cause
of these problems....)

                                                        Dan

| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |

jfp@INEL.GOV (Jeff Pack) (02/15/91)

Thanks for the responses.  Here's a good summary from DEC on their solution.