[comp.sys.dec] 8mm tape drives

ab@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Alan Butcher) (02/13/91)

I am looking for recommendations/advice for an 8mm tape drive unit for a
couple of VAXserver 3600.  It's does not appear that Digital offers
8mm for the VAXserver 3600.

Which vendors are good?
Installation kits/hardware/instructions/any problems?
What is the software support? We  run VAX/VMS and Ultrix.

----
Alan Butcher, ab@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu
Concurrent Engineering Research Center, West Virginia University
Drawer 2000, Morgantown, WV 26506 (304) 293-7226
--

mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu (Jeff E Mandel MD MS) (02/19/91)

In article <1320@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu> ab@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu
(Alan Butcher) writes:
>I am looking for recommendations/advice for an 8mm tape drive unit for a
>couple of VAXserver 3600.  It's does not appear that Digital offers
>8mm for the VAXserver 3600.
>
>Which vendors are good?
>Installation kits/hardware/instructions/any problems?
>What is the software support? We  run VAX/VMS and Ultrix.

I have been extremely happy with Trimarchi. I was an early user of the Exabyte
unit, and had numerous problems due to bugs in the Exabyte controller.
Trimarchi made certain I was a happy customer. I believe I have gone through 4
units, but am now fully functional. It is very nice to be able to do a full
image backup of a 620 meg drive unattended, believe me.

Jeff E Mandel MD MS
Asst Professor of Anesthesiology
Tulane University School of Medicine
New Orleans, LA