[comp.sys.dec] mail and files from Unix to Mac

mwu@teri.bio.uci.edu (Matt Wu) (02/13/91)

We have a bunch of Macintoshes here that we are thinking of connecting via
Ethernet (right now, only three of them have Ethernet; the rest are still
using AppleTalk). We also have a few Unix boxes lying around.

Anyway, my question is: Is there software floating around out there that
will let us forward mail received on a Unix box to a Macintosh? The Macs will
be used by various people at various times and will not always be on, so it
only makes sense to utilize a Unix machine for this purpose.

Also, if anyone out there knows of anything that will allow a Unix box to
work as a fileserver for the Macs, I'd really welcome some information.

Thanks in advance,

Matt
mwu@teri.bio.uci.edu

murray@motto.UUCP (Murray S. Kucherawy) (02/15/91)

nntpsrv@orion.oac.uci.edu.UUCP writes:
>Anyway, my question is: Is there software floating around out there that
>will let us forward mail received on a Unix box to a Macintosh? The Macs will
>be used by various people at various times and will not always be on, so it
>only makes sense to utilize a Unix machine for this purpose.

QuickMail from CE Software on the Mac end, and QUE from MIT on the UNIX
end is what we're using.  After ironing out the problems, it's working
just great.

>Also, if anyone out there knows of anything that will allow a Unix box to
>work as a fileserver for the Macs, I'd really welcome some information.

The operating system AUX does that, I think.  At least, some operating system
at the University of Waterloo is able to do it.

=============================== Murray S. Kucherawy ==========================
Motorola Canada, Ltd.     Communications Division, Toronto      [on work term]
University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada               2B Math/Computer Science
Internet: murray@motto.UUCP (work)       mskucherawy@watmath.UWaterloo.ca (UW)
UUCP:     uunet!utai!lsuc!motto!murray   uunet!watmath!mskucherawy

jav8106@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (Doctor FORTRAN) (02/16/91)

In article <27B88453.24749@orion.oac.uci.edu>, mwu@teri.bio.uci.edu (Matt Wu) writes...
-
-We have a bunch of Macintoshes here that we are thinking of connecting via
-Ethernet (right now, only three of them have Ethernet; the rest are still
-using AppleTalk). We also have a few Unix boxes lying around.
-
-Anyway, my question is: Is there software floating around out there that
-will let us forward mail received on a Unix box to a Macintosh? The Macs will
-be used by various people at various times and will not always be on, so it
-only makes sense to utilize a Unix machine for this purpose.
-
-Also, if anyone out there knows of anything that will allow a Unix box to
-work as a fileserver for the Macs, I'd really welcome some information.

We just unwrapped our Gatorbox, with Gatorshare software, from Cayman. It looks
like an NFS (Network File System) client to the Unix server, and like an Apple
Share server to the Macintoshes. You won't need ethernet cards for each mac,
either (though I have one installed on my mac, but I move large image files
around and about) -- it also serves as an Ethernet - to - Localtalk gateway.

The Gatorshare software can store the data and resource forks of each mac file
in separate files on the Unix side. This is handy for me, because I need to
manipulate the data forks of some files on the unix side, then pass them back
to the mac. A separate desktop file is also kept for each volume. It's really a
neat solution, particularly for those who need to live in the two worlds
simultaneously!

Of course, you'll need NFS running on the Unix server . . . .

We are also testing a mail program for the mac, but I don't have any details on
that yet.

C ==========================================================================

C === This subroutine will write a signature at the end of a posting.

      Subroutine Signature
      Write (*, 101)
  101 Format (1H1, 'Doctor FORTRAN', /, ' Master of the Realm', /,
     1            ' Reply: jav8106@ritvax.isc.rit.edu')

      Return
      End

time@ice.com (02/16/91)

In article <366@motto.UUCP>, murray@motto.UUCP (Murray S. Kucherawy) writes:
> QuickMail from CE Software on the Mac end, and QUE from MIT on the UNIX
> end is what we're using.  After ironing out the problems, it's working
> just great.

Of course, this does not address News. There are several Mail/News
products available for both UUPC and TCP. Look around.

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208

glaeske@plains.NoDak.edu (Brian Glaeske) (02/18/91)

Columbia University has a package called CAP for UNIX.  This set of programs
provides UNIX with a way of talking to LocalTalk.  it will do printserving,
fileserving, and I beleive someone has created a mail program for it.
--
Brian Glaeske
 -  /|                        glaeske@plains.NoDak.edu  [Internet]

cavrak@kira.UUCP (Steve Cavrak) (02/19/91)

 nntpsrv@orion.oac.uci.edu.UUCP writes:  Anyway, my question is: Is
	there software floating around out there that will let us
	forward mail received on a Unix box to a Macintosh? The Macs
	will be used by various people at various times and will not
	always be on, so it only makes sense to utilize a Unix machine
	for this purpose.

A very nice combination is Eudora (Mac mail client) and Popper (Unix
Pop3 server).

Eudora lives, I believe, at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

Popper lives at lilac.berkeley.edu.

See ya