[comp.sys.dec] RX ****ing 50s; Comments on formatting same.

frisbie@flying-disk.com (Alan Frisbie) (02/19/91)

In article <8598.27c1b662@decus.com.au>,
stewart_andy@decus.com.au writes:

> Next Question: Can the RX33 drive format RX50s and/or RX33 diskettes?

The DRIVE can, but the controllers (RQDXn) and software DO NOT.   There
may be a way to coerce an RQDXn to format an RX50-format diskette, but
I have never heard anyone claim it could be done, and several claim that
it cannot.

An RX33 drive is the same as a generic AT-style High Density drive.  It
is supported by both the RQDX3 and several third-party controllers and
can read/write/format both double- and high- density diskettes.
The RQDX3/RX33 combination supports formatting of RX33 (only) diskettes,
as long as you have firmware ROMs 339E5 and 340E5 (~April 1989).   The
previous version was 243E5/244E5.

If you need the 339/340 ROMs, DEC will charge you $$$ to upgrade your
controller.   However, the ROMs are ordinary 27128A EPROMs (the E5
designation) and there are no known hardware changes to the board.

You can use that drive (RX33) with a third-party controller to format RX50s.
I used an Andromeda ESDC (ESDI & floppy) controller just a few weeks ago
to format a stack of Double Density floppies in RX50 mode.   They work
just fine on a real DEC RX50.

---  Alan E. Frisbie                    Frisbie@Flying-Disk.Com  (Preferred)
---  Flying Disk Systems, Inc.      or  ...elroy!flying!frisbie
---  4759 Round Top Drive           or  Flying!Frisbie@Elroy.jpl.nasa.gov
---  Los Angeles, CA 90065          or  Frisbie%Flying@oxy.edu
---  (213) 256-2575                 or  ...oxy!flying!frisbie

stewart_andy@decus.com.au (02/19/91)

In article <wV8JX4w163w@zl2tnm.gp.co.nz>, don@zl2tnm.gp.co.nz (Don Stokes) writes:

> Does anyone know how format a disk to look like an RX50?

Short Answer:  Use A DEC RAINBOW 100 to Format DS/DD 40 Track (360 KB) 5.25s
Long Answer:   DEC Marketing refused to release either details or a program
               to format on the DEC PROFESSIONAL.  Some controllers like the
               RQDX1 could not format RX50s (I believe).
Next Question: Can the RX33 drive format RX50s and/or RX33 diskettes?

> Can a PC high density floppy drive do it?   With DOS?
> The things are 80 track, ten sectors, single sided.
> MSDOS 3.3 gives up at 9 sectors.  Mumble.

The drive and controller could format an RX50 physically.  What you need is
the software.

doug@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Douglas W O'neal) (02/21/91)

In article <8598.27c1b662@decus.com.au> stewart_andy@decus.com.au writes:
->
->Next Question: Can the RX33 drive format RX50s and/or RX33 diskettes?
->
A RX33 drive can format RX33 diskettes but cannot format RX50 diskettes.  It
can read RX50s with no problem.

Doug
--
Doug O'Neal, Distributed Systems Programmer, Johns Hopkins University
doug@jhuvms.bitnet, doug@jhuvms.hcf.jhu.edu, mimsy!aplcen!jhunix!doug