[comp.sys.dec] Tri-Marchi Optical Subsystem

muswick@ego.uh.cwru.edu (02/22/91)

In article <1690@tcs.tcs.com>, jac@zion.berkeley.edu (Gordon Jacobs) writes:

> I am about to take the plunge and buy an optical read/write disk
> subsystem for my DECstation 3100.  I was considering the Tri-marchi
> drive, which contains a built in hardware driver so that it looks like
> any other rz disk. (no special software driver needed)  They use a RICOH
> drive and the disks hold about 600Mb each.  It sounds like the best one
> for the DECstation, and the price is $2995.  (disks are about $200).
>
> If anyone has experience with this drive or its operation/installation on
> a DECstation 3100, please let me know.  I'm interested to hear if it is
> reliable or if there are any competing brands which compare favorably...
>
> Thanks,
> Gordie Jacobs	jac@zion.berkeley.edu

We are currently using a Maxtor Tahiti-1 on a DECstation 3100 with no problems.
The disks are little more, $275.00 1GB platter, but you have the choice 600MB
iso or 1GB platters.  It is very fast, we benchmarked 500kb per second writes
and 750k reads.  The drives cost around $4500.00.

Gary Muswick